[26] Bad news

Megumi pov

I yawned hoping we could finish this mission.

"Target moved. Mei-chan they're headed in your direction!" I became alert instantly, cloaking my chakra and sensing out theirs.

I laid myself flat on my stomach on a tree branch using the leaves as cover. I got my senbons ready both listening and sensing how close the target was.

There!

I pushed my chakra through the tree and when the roots shot up surprising the person I took their stillness as an advantage and shot the senbons at them. They dropped to the ground the moment the third one embedded itself into their neck.

Sensei and Osamu dropped down after

"Woah...not even I'm that accurate with senbons." Sensei raised an eyebrow.

"You can't use senbons at all."

"Ssh!" I smiled sitting up.

"Where's Samurai?" I blinked.

"Here. Was making sure he remained asleep." He dropped the ninja beside the one I took out.

"Right. Mission completed. Let's head back."

"Hai." I stepped forward using a sign that caused the roots of the trees around us to shoot up and tightly bind the two ninjas separately and together.

"Ho~ Mei-chan is getting better at controlling her jutsu!" I smiled at the praise and head pats Osamu gave me.

"Mm! Still draining though. I need to get better..."

"There's no need to rush." I nodded and we began to make our way back to Konoha.

•••••

Once again I was yawning. It took us two days to return stopping only to camp, rest and put the two loud mouth back to sleep.

"Megumi-san! There's a message for you!" I was stopped at the gate by Kotetsu.

"Oh?" He passed a scroll to me "Arigatou Tetsu-san!" He grinned giving me a thumbs up.

I walked through the gates opening the scroll. I recognized the symbol on top immediately as Uchiha and made a beeline straight for them.

"I'll meet up later sensei! I have a meeting I'm late for!" He nodded and Osamu waved feverishly at me.

"BYE MEI-CHAN!!" I smiled before turning and running towards the Uchiha clan grounds. The moment I stepped into the grounds I saw the contemplating looks on the adults and teens faces. Something was bothering them.

"Ohayo everyone!" I yelled snapping them from their thoughts.

"Megumi-chan?" A few mumbled before they smiled.

"Finished with your mission, eh?" One of the oji's asked.

"Mm! It was easy!"

"Ah, look how big you're getting!" I smiled

"Ma~ Obaa-san you look great in that kimono!" She blushed laughing and waving me off.

"Sasuke was sulking around the clan with you gone you know."

"Oh? He's in the academy now huh?"

"Hai. He'll be excited to know you're back." He grinned.

"Ah, before I forget. Fugaku-sama called for you. Said if we saw you tell you to go to him immediately."

"Hai. I'm heading there now! Arigatou na, for telling me anyway!" I waved going off to the clan head.

The people of the village, though they didn't show it had prejudice against the Uchiha. Not as much as towards Naruto, but since the attack seven years ago they've been pushed back just as much as when the second Hokage was alive.

They get looks of either respect or fear. No in between. And then there's me who have hit one Uchiha at least twice for trying to arrogantly tell me what to do. The elders weren't a problem, the problem was most of the adults and teens. I am a child but that doesn't mean I'm stupid and naïve.

Since the get go I understood what many other children didn't. The looks, the whispers, their behavior. I understood and took it all in. That's why at eight years old I'm already a genin. I will never consider myself a prodigy. That's Tachi-nii. He's way above my level.

Shisui too! Thinking of...where is he? Usually the moment I stepped foot in the Uchiha grounds he'd be blasting himself towards me. Is he sick? I kept those questions to myself as I got to the main house.

"Obaa!! Jiji! I'm back!" I yelled slamming the door opened. The first one to greet me was Fugaku-jiji. He greeted me with a sigh. "Ji-ji!" I dashed towards him jumping and tackling him to the ground.

"Megumi. You're not three anymore. You cannot jump and expect me to catch you this way."

"Does that mean you're getting old?" Irk marks appeared on his head as he glared at me Sharingan blazing. I giggled alongside Mikoto-obaa.

"Okarinasai." She smiled. I got off jiji to sit and smile at her. But I noticed instantly her hidden emotions.

"Obaa, jiji. What happened while I was gone?" The mood changed and both frowned.

"Come, we'll speak further inside." Nodding I got up and followed behind the two.

•••••

"Mei-chan...?" Obaa's voice was soft worry lacing it. I blinked slowly.

"Ah...I see...." I think I've said that at least four times already.

"We could not find his body to give a proper burial. Gomen...and we didn't want to make one with you gone. Will you chose a place for him to rest?" Jiji asked softly his face blank but his eyes looked at me with softness only meant for his sons and myself.

I inhaled before letting it out. "I think...I might have a place. But first, I need Itachi here."

"Ah. He's been pushing himself with mission after mission since Shisui died. And with the clan accusing him he's rarely even home." Obaa worried "If you can get him to slow down. Please, or at least have him eat something."

"Hai...I'll do it." I nodded making her relax some more. "Ne, jiji...what else are you hiding from me?" They stilled and jiji looked away from me.

We sat in silence for what felt like an entire hour before he sighed and bowed his head towards me.

"I cannot tell as that will endanger you. Speaking to us now endangers you. However I wished to see you again. And I ask for this selfish favor. Megumi, please protect Sasuke." By now obaa was bowing as well.

"I already do, there's no need to request me something I'm already doing."

"We know you do. But this... we ask of you to watch over him a bit more. To be there for him as if I, we couldn't be. Please?" Obaa pleaded and I saw tears drip to the floor. I sighed.

"Regardless of what you hide from me. I will always look out for him. I will always protect him, and side with me. I will always try to guide him as best as I can. Even when I think he's wrong, I won't say he is. I'll show him my view, I'll show him what he can do. Whatever it is you expect me to do for him. Then I'll do it." They looked up and I smiled "I promise you here and now that I will forever guide, protect and love my tiny Sasu." Obaa cried more shooting up to hug me.

"Arigatou!" Jiji shuffled forward.

"We've placed a burden on you that we shouldn't have. But I trust with everything and know with all the knowledge I have, that you'd accomplish it." I nodded.

"Hai. Now. I'll go find Itachi." They nodded.

I stood hugging my obaa and jiji once more before I left. Something was wrong. Dreadfully wrong. And Itachi had the answers.