Flowers

"Do you think they'll grow and stay here forever?" You asked quietly as you stared at the small dirt lump where you planted two rose seeds. Alastor let out a hum, eyeing the ground lumps. A small chuckle left his lips as he got up from his crouching position. "I'm sure they'll grow into beautiful flowers!" He exclaimed with a bright smile. You looked up at the young boy, his grin brighter than the sun at this point.

You smiled softly and also stood up, patting your knees to dust off the dirt. Chirping from baby Bluebirds and pigeons filled the air from the peaceful backyard of the broken-down orphanage. Cars passed through the street as well as some other people chatting away, even some vulgar language used but you two didn't pay any mind at it.

"Hopefully. Maybe we can make a garden! Our own oasis~" You giggled with your arms open to the grassed area that was able to fit at least a tiny shop. Alastor glanced around the green yard with his lips pursed. He had to admit, it could work. Maybe it could be just for the two of you allowed in it, how peaceful and nice smelling would it be. Even away from the other kids who bothered you both oh so much. Just as he was about to answer, a ringing noise caught his and your attention to the structure.

The bell rang from the side of the building with a shadow emerging from the small alley to reveal a light brown-skinned male stepping out of the dark. He was holding a golden cup-shaped bell that was swinging side to side.
"'ight kids, playtimes over. Naptime!" Miles called out from the corner. You and Alastor let out a dramatic groan but obeyed his orders. Both of you walked to the man with your heads hanging low, but you looked up at him with puppy eyes. His eye twitched as he leaned up against the brick wall.

"It ain't gon' work this time, hun. Both of ya, nappy." He snickered teasingly, nodding his head towards the front of the building. You pouted and crossed your arms as Alastor wrapped his arm around yours, giving the man desperate eyes to stay in the sun just a tad bit longer.

Miles sighed in distress, his fingers pinching the bridge of his toned nose. "Ya kids are sach a pain in de bum, ye know.." He mumbled out annoyingly, his green orbs staring down at you two. Even if he was fed up with your vexing begging just to be outdoors, and not giving up to do so, he couldn't stay mad at you both. The determination you had to stay in the backyard impressed him, but he didn't want to get in trouble with Ms. Smith, if he messed up again, he was sure then back on the streets.

He placed his hands on both your backs, guiding you towards the front of the house. "Tumarrow ye can play all diey." He offered gently, his eyes trained on the two kids. You gasped with a smile, "Really?!" Alastor glanced behind him at the black man, eyes showing disbelief and happiness, while his smile was tight and looked almost, forced. It made Miles a bit concerned but he sees how you like to give other kids smiling advice, so it wasn't new.

"'f course, sweetheart. True te ma word," He said as his accent showed that made you so interested in hearing more of it. Miles took his hand off your back and traced an X where his heart was, "cross me heart and hupe ta die." You raised an eyebrow with a frown, you didn't really like how that sounded. Miles was one of the nice people here in the orphanage, you didn't want him to die!

"Why would you die..?! You can't!" You cried as tears formed in your eyes. Alastor glanced between you and the man with wide eyes, he also didn't want him to die, he already saw much death and didn't want him to die as well.
"You need to be here! We don't wanna be alone..!" He managed to say, grabbing his dark red sleeve. You and Alastor stared up at him with tears in your eyes, begging for him not to die. Miles started to sweat and felt a bit uneasy, now he done screwed up. He kneeled down and put a hand on you and Alastors shoulder. "I din't mean a'tually die, kids. I mean that I p'omise that ma word is t'ue a'd if I brak it, well, I'am sorta lioke an baddie for b'eaking it." He explained as gently as he could, especially if these are a 7 (you) and 8 (Alastor) year old.