Chapter 1 - Professor Cullen

Robert Frost once said in one of his poems: "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - 
I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference".

As I lay there on the soft grass on the University's campus, reading his spectacular poem, I couldn't stop thinking about that. My life up until this point wasn't really exciting to be honest. I went to highschool, then to college. I had a few close friends and I had one boyfriend. But over the last two decades of my life there was nothing extraordinary. No drama, no problems. But also no adventures, no deep love. I wouldn't have described me as an introvert, but I felt like I was a butterfly, ready to explore the world. And yet, I stayed in my cacoon, refusing to taste fresh air. However, I couldn't help thinking about it. How it must be to spread your wings and fly. In my head I must have left my home a million times. But in reality, I never did. I only just imagined it. 

I wondered what my less traveled road would lead me to... 

But there, right in this deep moment of thinking about my true sense in the world a loud group of boys crossed my way and of course they couldn't keep there stupid mouths shut:

"Hey honey, what are you doin out here? I have some great goodnight stories I could show you in my dorm!", shouted one of them, a violent breeze making me shiver.

Anger started to boil inside of me, making me ignore the little voice in my head that told me not to respond. But I was a person who acted on her emotions. Sometimes that was my advantage, sometimes it brought problems with it. But I couldn't help it.  

"Shut up and stop annoying every girl you meet or you'll never even get one to talk to you, idiot!", I replied harshly. They started laughing like I was some five year old girl asking them to be kind but, eventually, they left, giving the sun the opportunity to shine through the dark clouds again.

And with that I was alone again, thank god. I tried to get back into thinking mode but, quickly, got interrupted by a low voice behind me. "Not again" I thought to myself.

"Interesting choice", said the dark voice.

And because I was still quite annoyed from the boys I angrily hissed:"Oh fuck off" to whoever was standing behind me. 

He chuckled, which led me to having a shiver run down my spine. Finally I turned around, expecting another dumb idiot but as I saw the man in front of me, I froze.
He was tall, had dark hair and an extremely defined face and body to say the least. Slowly I traveled my gaze up to look into his eyes. 

They were blue. And holy fuck did they capture me and looked deeply into my soul. The image of the ocean errupted in my mind, and I wanted nothing but to drown in them. Suddenly I realised that he must be a professor. "Shit", I thought, "Just apologize!"

"Uhm I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean to offend you", I uttered my apology.

"No worry, I'm glad that someone still reads Frost today and even defends him.", he responded, his eyes still totally focused on me.

"You like Frost?", I asked surprised.

"Well considering the fact that I'm teaching American Literature and Poetry I should, right?", he kindly said with a wink.

The scent of something earthy mixed with what I imagined mystery and confidence would smell like, lingered in the air. It was tempting, bittersweet. Like something you think you would need more of but at the same time you know that you shouldn't. 

"He's one of my favorite writers", we both murmured at the same time and I bit my lip, trying not to start blushing. 

It seemed as if his gaze traveled down to my lip and his body suddenly started to tense as if he would have realised that I wasn't just a nice woman, but the temptation they have all warned him of.  

We stared at each other for what seemed like a minute until someone shouted my name from afar: "Liz! Can you come, I need your help?"

For a moment I felt totally disorientated but soon recognized my roommate at the other side of the parc. I quickly got up and almost tripped over my own feet which resulted in him stepping closer to me. Luckily, I could catch myself and looked up to his face. I now realised how close we were to each other and my heart started beating faster. The moment seemed to freeze and I forgot everyone around myself. I only felt the sound of a warm summer breeze hitting my chest, making my heart pound heavily matching the leaves that were flying around with no clear direction. 

The birds in the tree above us were the only ones that noticed. I've felt their innocent eyes on me, watching us like they were the audience of a play while, at the same time, they tried to look away as if they would expect to see a tragedy. As if they would be witnesses of something forbidden. As if I would be a hurt gazelle and he would be the powerful lion coming to get me. Meeting him in the desert, completely alone and yet, I had no urge to run away. Not a single fiber of my being felt frightened. Even though I should, but I was oblivious to his hungry eyes. Or maybe, I wanted nothing else. 

"Get yourself together! He's a professor.", I thought to myself before my mind could make up any more scenarios. 

"Well, I guess I have to go..It was nice talking to you Professor...?", I stuttered.

"Cullen. Professor Cullen. And it was my pleasure Miss..?", he replied.

"White.", I mumbled.

"Wonderful name, Miss White. Have a nice evening", he stated and walked away, his strides long and strong. 

He was in fact a lion but he refused to hunt me. But why did I still feel like I was trapped? 

I slowly walked over to my friend like I would be in a trance with two questions on my mind. How the hell was it legal to look this good? And why on earth must he be a professor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey everyone, so this is the first chapter! I hope you like it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey everyone, so this is the first chapter! I hope you like it. Please be kind to me as this is my first book I've ever written. So if you have any feedback, positive or negative, feel free to comment! :) 

- Ann