Chapter 54 - A game for two

Two seconds before the elevator opened again, we let go of each other. Determined to finally come clean, we walked towards his office and knocked on the door.

The noise of a small squeak from someone standing up was followed by heels walking over high-quality flooring. A small lady looked us in the eyes and after we had said why we were here, she let us in, stating that Mr Collins would be with us in a minute.

As we sat in front of his desk, I looked around, taking the atmosphere in. Everything was quite minimal, only the necessary items. His desk was big, organised.

I started to breath shakily as I heard the sound of expensive shoes hitting the floor. They became louder and louder until they stopped. With one strong tug, the door was being opened.

"Ah, Miss White it's so nice to- Oh, and Professor Cullen. What a lovely surprise!", he exclaimed, shaking our hands with a hard grip, before sitting down across from us.

In this moment, I really regreted, not having maintained a closer relationship with my director. It only would have been in my favor now. But of course, this was only the second time, I had talked to him. I was just not the type of person who endeared herself to someone or participates in lots of additional programs to stand out. But now as I looked into the eyes of Mr Collins, I wished I had.

Because it would had been an understatement to say that he was not easy to impress. It was quite the contrary. He was the definition of powerful and he knew it. His room already showed that he must love to exercise control. His neatly appearance, a straight posture, the big watch around his wrist and the way his hands gripped the edges of his chair just slightly, showed me that he was not to be played with.

"So, what do I owe this honor?", he asked and even though he was smiling, I realised that it was more a facade than an honest expression of emotion. It was one of his many instruments, used for success.

We were screwed.

"This is about the professor program, isn't it?", he asked as none of us took the initiative.

"Yes, well..only partly", I began and Alex continued:

"We wanted to talk about something, that might..affect the overall situation."

Mr Collins' brow shot up in surprise: "And what might that be?"

Alex looked at me and when I nodded encouragingly, he confessed it:

"Miss White and I...we are in a relationship."

Mr Collins nodded understandingly before his face froze for a second as if he would have just realised what he had just said.

"Like-..Like a romantic relationship?", he asked in disbelief, but quickly put on a serious face as we both nodded.

"So just that I understand this correctly, you both are having a romantic relationship, even though you have been professor and student only twenty minutes ago? Is this correct?", he demanded an answer, his expression stern.

Alex cleared his throat before he answered: "Yes, that is correct. We know that-"

"Alright, I have to interrupt you, I'm sorry but you know that this is unacceptable. The consequences concerning your job at this university, must be clear I think. Professor Cullen, would you please leave my office. I'll continue with Miss White alone", Mr Collins stated, leaving no room for objection.

What? No! Let him talk! 

I almost gasped but what should we do? Alex nodded unwillingly, standing up slowly and, with a last encouraging look in my direction, he was exiting the room to wait outside, leaving me in the lion's cave.