Chapter 6 - Are you laughing at me?

Already half an hour had passed and all I did was sitting on my bed and looking at Professor Cullen's note. 

"Come on, it's just a call", I said to myself. But in reality, I'd really just prefered sending a text message. 
"But he wrote 'call me' and not 'text me'", my brain pointed out rather quickly. I sighed. This was stupid! 
In one fluid motion I grabbed my phone, tiped in his number and pressed 'call'.

My heart was racing. From zero to a hundred. I got nervous and almost stopped the call when he suddenly picked up:

"I say this one last time, I won't buy anything of your ridiculous shit! Don't call here again, you understand?!", he said, clearly angry.

I widened my eyes, unable to say anything.

"Hello?!", he asked harshly.

Finally I managed to say: "Ehm hello Professor Cullen? Miss White here.."

"Miss White? Shit..sorry! I didn't mean to yell at you. It's just...I've been called three times in half an hour to buy some stupid e-book reader you know..."

I could almost feel that he was slightly embarrassed and bashful while explaining. 
I started to chuckle lightly, picturing the scene in my head.

"Are you laughing at me, Miss White?", he asked and I would have tensed up again if I couldn't have heard that he was smiling too.

"No, I just can't imagine you with an e-book reader, Professor. They really have called the absolute wrong person to sell such a thing. It would just never replace a real book, right? I mean the smell, the feeling of turning a page...it would just not be the same", I replied, lost in thought. 

Now I heard him chuckling through the phone. The fact that it felt as if he would chuckle right into my ear, took my breath away. The sound was glorious. Like music. 

"Are you laughing at me, Professor Cullen?", I asked playfully.

"Never, Miss White. I am just amazed that you seem to see through me so easily when we had so little time together... Do you have any special talents that I should be aware of?", he said.

"Trust me, it's much more difficult than it seems. And no, I don't think so. None that I would know about, sir", I answered honestly, feeling less stressed. 

"Hmm..we'll see.. So why were you calling again?"

"The poetry tasks. I just wanted to let you know that evenings would work best for me. Other than that I am quite flexible", I told him. 

"Ah yes, I forgot. Of course, evenings would work for me as well. What about tomorrow? In the library at around 7pm?"

"Yes that would be fine", I replied, still not able to fully picture myself working with him in the library tomorrow.

A small silence began between us. 

"I..." 
"You..", we both uttered at the same time and had to laugh.

"Ladies first", he stated calmly and I don't know why, but suddenly it felt like I was talking to a friend. The atmosphere had something intimate. I could hardly describe it. It made me feel like I was closer to him. To his soul. 

"I wanted to say thank you", I murmured.

"For?", he asked surprised and I have to swallow, tempted to just end the call.

"For not asking me to read out my essay in front of everyone", I finally confessed, feeling embarrassed.

"You really don't have to thank me for that, Miss White. But still, in the future you should be able to...", he said slowly.

"I know, it's just...to me poetry is something personal. It took me already a lot of courage to write it down for you. But these thoughts aren't supposed to be published for anybody. Would you just show your writings to everybody? Is that no problem for you?", I tried to explain, hoping that he would not think that I was a weird freak.

He sighed."I guess you're right. I would not. Only people close to me should read them. And just for the record, I am beyond grateful that you wrote your thoughts down for me to read them. It has been a true blessing to catch a glimpse of what's going on in your head...", he stated lowly.

I couldn't reply as I was being interrupted by my roommate Julie, who also happened to be my best friend: "Hey, can I lend me some of your underwear? I am planning to go out and your stuff is way hotter than mine", she said loudly as ever. 

I gestured her to be more quiet but it was to late. The drama was done. 

I heard how Professor Cullen cleared his throat. And I, I felt like I was as red as a tomato.

"Just take what you need and leave", I hissed in her direction.

"Sorry, that was my best friend. She's a little...well, whatever. I guess I have to go now. See you tomorrow?", I tried to escape the situation, still hoping that he hadn't heard that. 

"Ah sure. Call me when you need anything. Good night Miss White", he replied in a husky voice.

"Good night, Professor", I answered quietly, then I hung up and glared at Julie who was still standing behind me.

"Ups, sorry", she said laughing.

I just groaned and buried my head in a pillow. How embarrassing...

-----------------------------------------Chapter 6 is ready! Whoho :) What do you think about the characters so far? Have a nice day!

Chapter 6 is ready! Whoho :) 
What do you think about the characters so far? 
Have a nice day!

- Ann