Chapter 43 - I choose you

The next day I woke up without Alex next to my side. 

Sitting up on the bed, I yawned and stretched my arms up. But when my eyes landed on the clock, I jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. 

Shit! It was ten o'clock. I had overslept! 

I brushed my teeth quickly, braided my hair and changed into a pair of leggins. I kept the hoodie on, which was the only sign remaining that I hadn't dreamed that Alex was here last night and bolted out of the door. 

When I made my way to the breakfast room, I noticed that everyone was already working on today's exercises. Uh, great...

Entering the room, I looked around, not knowing what to do.

"Liz!", Mrs Webber's voice came from behind me and I jerked slightly. 

I turned around and gave her an apologetic look: "Mrs Webber, I'm so sorry. I forgot to set an alarm and-"

But before I could say anything else, she held up her hand and shook her head, smiling softly at me:

"Don't worry. Professor Cullen has already told me about the incident last night. No details, but he said that Mr Gregson behaved very inappropriately. Everything's fine. You can eat now and rest if you want to."

Surprised, I nodded my head and sat down. 

"Oh, eh thank you..But it's alright. I'll start with the assignments later. Where- where is he now?", I asked and didn't even know myself if I had meant Marco or Alex. 

Nodding understandingly, Mrs Webber answered: "Professor Cullen has dealt with him. He is already on his way home, expecting consequences for his behaviour towards you. Well...I don't want to offend you, but I'm quite curious what you told him. I shouldn't tell you this but..he seemed pretty angry...and tempted to hit him if I'm being honest.."

I half smiled at her curiousity that was so strong, almost to a point where it was too personal. But I knew that she had no bad intentions. 

Opening my mouth to reply something, we both slightly jumped as another voice interrupted us.

"Angela, there you are. Peter is searching for you, because of the program tomorrow", Alex stood in the door. 

Then his eyes shifted to me and he raised an eyebrow asking almost playfully:

"Or am I interrupting your interrogation?"

Blushing, Mrs Webber stood up.

"Uhm no, no interrogation. I'm going to Peter now. Okay Liz, I guess I'll see you for the discussion later, bye", she quickly stated and made her way out, leaving me alone with him. 

Processing what she had just said, Alex sat down at the table opposite from me.

"You don't have to do this, you know? You can take the day off if you need to", he then said and watched me carefully. 

Sighing, I shook my head: "No, it's alright. I can do this."

He nodded slowly and then we just looked at each other, not saying anything. 

"You weren't there this morning", I finally murmured, avoiding his eyes. 

He cleared his throat and sighed: "Yes, I'm sorry. I didn't want to wake you up, but I had to deal with him. And...I don't know. I didn't want that it would be awkward to..you know.."

I looked into the distance, blinking away the tears:

"Will it always gonna be like this now? Between us, I mean."