Chapter 55 - Countdown

"Could you ask Professor Cullen to come back in for a second? We're not done here."

-------------------------------

I met Alex's confused look as he walked through the door again followed by...another woman?

Pulling my eyebrow up, I gave Alex a questioning look, that he returned by rolling his eyes annoyed as in 'Don't ask'.

"What's going on in here, Mr Collins?", she asked and I realised that she must have been the co-director.

Still, she seemed familiar and as he answered, I froze:

"Professor Kingston. Only some internal discussion."

Professor Kingston. Wasn't that...? The woman that was ogling Alex in the hallway a few months ago!

Fuck.

"You wanted to see me again, Mr Collins", Alex interjected, not knowing what to expect.

"Yes, please take a seat", he replied and gestured to the seat next to me.

His aura had shifted again. A light smile was on his face, mirroring my own as he tried to cover up that he had just escaped a deep humiliation.

"I must say, you've got yourself a wonderful woman... and fiancée", he started and added the last word as his eyes discovered the shimmering ring on my hand.

Behind me, I could hear Professor Kingston gasp.

"Throughout our conversation, there were a certain...repartee and stubbornness, that gave me a cause for reconsideration", he continued and Alex looked at me dumbfounded, unable to believe what he's hearing.

Nevertheless, his hand reached for mine and he interwined our fingers as he stated:

"I think I know that stubbornness quite well."

His gleaming eyes remained on my face, longing to know the answer to one question. How the hell did I manage to convince him to give us a chance?

Well, what could I say? I fought, maybe even unfair if it was necessary.

I gave him a smile in return, strengthening my grip around his hand.

"Sorry to interrupt, but what are we talking about here?", Professor Kingston asked sternly.

"We are figuring out a way that offers Miss White and Professor Cullen the opportunity to stay at the university", he explained plainly.

"What?! As a couple?! Having an affair! That's against the rules! How can you agree with that, Mr Collins!", she stated furiously.

But as I turned around to catch her eyes, I found a different, much stronger emotion.

Jealousy.

However, Mr Collins remained professional and serious. Having our earlier discussion in mind, he answered:

"I've already talked about that with Miss White. No rules are broken. It would all be in the university's favor."

As a result, she gasped in disbelieve, answering furiously: "No broken rules?! What bullshit did she tell you, huh?!"

Mr Collins' eyes sharpened at her tone. He took his time with his answer, determined to keep the, for him embarrassing, talk a secret.

"Language, Professor Kingston! I don't need to justify myself. All I have to say is that Miss White convinced me. I don't need to explain her arguments again just so that you are satisfied. Where are we? In kindergarten?", he stated rather harshly.