Chapter 16 - Restless night

Restlessly, I rolled back and forth on the bed. Uh, I couldn't sleep..

Another fifteen minutes passed, until I finally sat up and got out of bed. It was three am. and I did feel tired but, somehow, I just couldn't fall asleep. Maybe something to drink would help?

So I slowly made my way to the door and slid into the hallway. I tried to remember where the kitchen was and walked in the right direction, while paying attention not to make any noise that would wake Professor Cullen up.

As I entered the kitchen and I was about to search for some kind of jar, an open glass door caught my attention. Was it open when we arrived? No, I didn't think so..

And because I was a curious person I walked towards it only to find a beautiful small balcony with a view over the whole city in front of me. Wow.. But then, I saw the shadow of another person standing close to the railing.

"Alex?", I asked softly and hoped that I wouldn't scare him but he quickly spun around to look at me:

"Liz.", he stated surprised.

I slowly made my way towards the railing and stopped right next to him. As I took the view in I couldn't help but gasp.

"It's beautiful, isn't it", his voice murmured.

I nodded and whispered almost breathless:"It's spectacular."

A comfortable silence started as we both admired the city lights in the distance and the stars above us.

"I couldn't sleep", I finally broke the silence.

"Me neither. You were right about the couch. God, you're always right...", he replied, still lost in his own thoughts.

"You work quite a lot, don't you? I meant today, for example, you had teached almost the entire day and you had worked in the library into the night. Do you ever relax?", I asked softly after another silent minute.

He let out a stressed laugh:"There are days where I think that the work never ends. But I love my job. I still have to learn to take proper breaks but it'll be alright."

I frowned:"But why do you've asked me then to have a meeting this evening? You had to work so much over the day, you could have just enjoyed your evening."

"I guess I simply enjoy your company, Miss White. And besides, I was able to prevent you from spending the night under a bridge", he said with a wink.

As a result I hit his arm playfully:"Hey! I would have found something better than a bridge, okay?"

He just shook his head and started to laugh. I looked at him for a moment, then I walked a few steps closer to the door until I turned around and offered him my hand.

At first he looked at it confused, but then he slowly took it in his and I pulled him towards his bedroom.

When I wanted to make him sit on the bed he stopped and shook his head but before he could say anything I pressed on his shoulders and tried to push him down so that he had to sit on it.

"You need the sleep.", I stated.

Finally, he started to make himself comfortable and I wanted to leave the room when he suddenly whispersed:

"Where do you think you're going?"

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to look at him. With his one hand he tapped on the free space next to him:
"I already told you that I would not let you sleep on the couch. Now, come here or I'll move to the couch again."

With an annoyed snort I made my way to the empty side and sat down. I tried to ignore my racing heart and lay down next to him. Eventually, I looked at him only to see that his eyes were already on me. For a moment I just stared at his face and wondered what he was thinking about. I couldn't make out any specific emotion in his eyes. It could have been anything.

"I'm sorry if I am a burden to you. You must have planned something else for tonight..", I mumbled because I suddenly felt quite unsure about myself. I mean, every professor must had something better to do than looking over his students...

For a moment he just looked at me with these unreadable eyes.

"You are anything but a burden to me, Liz. I deeply enjoyed tonight, all of it. Now, please, stop overthinking this and try to sleep.", he said with a pleading look.

I nodded: "Okay. Good night,..Alex."

He smiled at the name and came closer to plant a small kiss on my forehead:

"Good night, Liz."

I turned around, so that my back was facing him and closed my eyes. For a few moments, the only thing I heard was his slow breathing but then, eventually, I dozed off.

----------------------------------------

I woke up from the sun, dancing over my face. With a small yawn I opened my eyes and started to stretch my body when I felt another body next to me. Professor Cullen. Or.. Alex?

For a few moments I just looked at him. His features were relaxed and he seemed totally at peace. His jaw line stuck out and I could see the first indications of a three-day beard. How did he do that? Even when he slept did he look hot as hell!

I glanced at my phone to see that it was nine am. and that I had... five?! missed calls from Julie. What?!
I turned to..Alex and tried to shake him awake. Slowly he started to move and the most sexiest noise I had ever heard in my entire life escaped his mouth.

"Alex, wake up", I said while continuing the shaking but the only answer that I got was some murmuring.

"Alex!", I tried again. I was taken by surprise when his one hand searched for my waist and with a small groan he pulled be close to him so that my back was being pressed against his chest.

"No.", he simply stated.

Slowly I turned around to look at him:"No?"

"No."

I giggled and raised my hand to touch his cute face but quickly pulled back when I remembered that he was my professor.

"What was that?", he asked, his eyes barely open.

"Nothing.", I replied quickly.

"Really? That didn't look like nothing.", he countered and I sighed.

"I...I wanted to touch your face", I admitted shyly.

His eyes finally opened fully. I was overwhelmed by our closeness and when he finally answered a shiver ran over my whole body:

"You can."

-----------------------------

I know, mean cut but that also means more tension ;)

Please leave feedback (Comment, vote etc.) It really motivates to keep going!

- Ann