Chapter 38 - Bus ride

"I can't do this, Julie. I just can't", I stated while my hands still finished packing my suitcase. 

Five days with him and a whole lot of strangers that I called fellow students. Why couldn't I just fall ill with a stupid cold or simply sign out? But no, the trip was already paid and physically I was perfectly fit. However, if mental health would have counted, I, having been a complete wreck, would have easily been able to stay at home. Unfortunately, I was not granted to avoid seeing him. 

"I understand you, Liz. But on the positiv note, you may have the opportunity to talk and end this fight of yours. Have you made up your mind about the professor program?", she tried to cheer me up even though it was useless.

I sighed:"No...I mean I know what I want. But..because of everything that is going on right now, I postpone seriously thinking about it. I don't want to have this on my mind right now. I can't stand it."

"You should if you consider that you have to inform Mr Collins a few days after you return. But, whatever. It's your decision. When do you have to leave?", Julie asked and I appreciated the change of subject.

"In fifteen minutes", I murmured and closed the suitcase to put ot back on the floor. It was not that heavy but still...Oh this would be fun to carry downstairs all the four floors. Why didn't we have an elevator? Oh right, because someone in this universe was after me and wanted to see me struggle..Okay, stop being so dramatic. 

Thank god, I had Julie as my best friend. In the end, we decided to carry it down together and after everything was ready to go, I turned around with tears in my eyes. 

"Oh come here, Liz. You can do this. Everything's going to be okay. And when you'll be back, we're going to have one of our ladies nights", she hugged me and I had to smile. 

"Thank you, Julie. For everything. I'll miss you", I replied and she giggled.

"Liz, it's only five days, but I'll miss you too", she stated.

"Oh I don't know why I'm so emotional right now. I hope this becomes better, otherwise I don't know how I'll survive this", I half joked and finally sat into the car to leave after some last waving.

----------------------------

The second I had arrived in front of the bus, I really just wanted to leave again. Julie had been right. Why couldn't we just stay here and work through literature? Then I could have at least skipped some classes.

But of course, that was not the case and I was standing inbetween a crowd of people I had never talked to before at six in the morning. I didn't even have time for a coffee. 

I tried to avoid looking around in fear that I would see Alex somewhere. 

After the bus doors finally opened, everybody quite literally rushed into it. As if the bus would leave immediately... Rolling my eyes at their childish behaviour, I took my time, stowed my suitcase away and, slowly, climbed the stairs into the bus. 

I moved through lots of rows that were already manned until I arrived in the back. But when I realized, next to whom the only free seat left was, I wanted to turn around and just sit on the floor, or the toilet. 

Could it have become any worse? 

When he noticed someone standing next to his seat, he looked up and when he saw me, I could read it in his face that he wasn't amused either. 

Without saying a word, I slid into the seat next to him, starring straight ahead. Right in this moment, I realised how close these seats were to one another. I never noticed that and it was never a problem before until now...I shifted uneasy and tried to avoid brushing his arm with mine.