Chapter 57 - His turn

I had to swallow as I entered the room the next morning, Alex next to my side. 

As soon as we walked into it, there were at least one hundred pairs of eyes, looking into our direction. I could make out only a few people that I knew. The sympathetic look from Mrs Robins gave me hope, while the angry eyes of Professor Kingston made me tense. However, it was the bunch of other people that held an unreadable expression that were making me feel uncomfortable. 

What did they think? Did they like me or did they not? Were they open for explanation? Or had they already made a decision?

A hand on my back, made me look up and into the eyes of Alex, which were scanning my face carefully. 

"Stop worrying so much, Liz. Everything's going to be alright", he mumbled as his hand brushed over my back reassuringly. 

He knew me too well. I nodded, still feeling the pressure of the crowd around us. 

"I know, I'm trying. I'm just worried what they're thinking about us. They are so many, much more than I've imagined. How should we ever win their votes?", I confessed and looked up at him rather desperately. 

Gently he stroked my cheek with his hand before he answered: "Liz, think rational. There are 140 professors in this room. We only need the majority, which is 71. And because of you, we already have Mr Collins' which is worth like a hundred. So that leaves 70. 70 votes. You only have to be present to make the whole room like you. But you're also giving a speech. Knowing you, I can't see how you wouldn't be able to win this thing. You don't even need me here. I'm of no use. You have the magic inside of you. And who doesn't recognize that, is either totally stupid or blind."

My eyes must have been gleaming full of love as I took his hand from my cheek and placed a short kiss on it. 

"70 people?", I asked again, more hoepful. If you said it like this it didn't sound that impossible anymore.

His grip on my hand grew a little bit stronger as he nodded with a small smile:

"70 people." 

Placing a quick kiss on his cheek, I let go of him but gave him a mean look: "Thank you...but if you ever repeat that you're of no use, then I'm going to slap you. I need you here. I couldn't do this without you. Your words and presence is worth at least the same as mine. You are holding it in your hands too, your power. Now, go up there and use it."

Astonished he looked at me but then he grinned, giving me a last kiss on the lips.

"Yes, Ma'am", he whispered, making me giggle before he turned around and walked on stage, on which Mr Collins was already waiting. 

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen. Today we are here to discuss whether or not Professor Cullen and Miss White get the opportunity of staying at this university. As girlfriend and boyfriend. Their relationship developed only after she wasn't his student anymore. I say this just to clarify, that this is not an argument. No rules would be broken. They've both prepared speeches to explain their perspective and I can't wait to hear what they have to say. Now, Professor Cullen, the stage is yours", Mr Collins announced and Alex made his way to the speaker's lectern.

The atmosphere was light. Most of the professors really liked him. Of course they did. Why wouldn't they?

"Thank you Professor Collins, and just to quickly clarify the importance of our relationship, she's not just my girlfriend but my fiancée", he commented on his earlier words, giving me a small wink. 

A murmur went through the ranks, followed by some laughter into which I joined, shaking my head at his sweet words. 

As everyone went quiet again, he began his speech, and from the first word, I hung on his lips: