05

"I'm sending you to Seoul next Saturday."

Seoul? South Korea? Why?

"You'll be living with your cousins there. Don't worry too much, I'll make sure you have your own flat there."

It's not like that's what I'm worried about. And I'm not worried at all. I'm more angry and annoyed.

"Is this it mom? You're finally going to send me away so you can make a new life with a new family? Is that it?!"

She looks away from me. I stand there with my hands in fists. And my tears on the verge of falling.

"Why can't you let me stay here? Don't you love me?"

"I do love you YN. That's why I'm doing this."

"By sending me away to Seoul?!"

She stands up and finally faces me.
"YN! Listen to me! I am doing this for your own good. I know everything that happens to you in that school and I know how much you're suffering. That's why as long as you are here in Australia, you'll keep being bullied and hurt. In Korea, you can start over! No one knows who you are."

What?

She...knows I'm being bullied?

Since the beginning?

Then...why didn't she do anything about it?

Why...?

"Why mom?" I whimper. "Why did you not do anything? Why up till now was I getting bullied if you knew about it? Why?!"

Her face turns to regret and she hugs herself.

"Why did you let me get bullied? Was it something I deserved? Mom! Tell me! Why? Now you're solution is to send me away? Mom I was waiting for you to ask me! Ask me at least once! About how I felt or how I was. But never have I heard a 'how was your day?' or 'Are you okay YN?'. But I heard nothing, because you're always outside doing whatever you're doing."

"I...I didn't know you felt that way YN. I-..."

"Of course you didn't know. How would you know? I'm always on my own every since dad was taken to jail. Every since then, you don't talk to me like we used to. Mom! I just...miss you. I miss you so much. I miss dad so much."

My legs gave out and I drop to the floor. Cried my eyes out. My face dripping with tears. My chest feels heavy like it has blocks of weight and its hard to breathe.

"I'm sorry YN. I'm really sorry. It's hard for me to talk and be with you because...you remind me too much of that man. And it hurts me. I can't even look at you properly without feeling disgusted and angry."

So in the end, she's thinking about herself. Once I'm gone, she can leave a new carefree life.

"YN." she calls me and goes down to my level. She wraps her arms around me and cares my back. "I know you'll never forgive me for what I've done. But I can't live in the past anymore. You'll understand me, right?"

And in the end, I have to be the one to understand everything that's diffucult and adjust to this painful change.

.
.
.

Monday morning feels different. Especially when...

"Good morning YN!"

I smile shyly seeing an energetic Felix so early in the morning waving his hand childishly. He's waiting for me by the school gate.

I run up to him. "Hey, Felix."

"YN, I got this from my mom. She said to share it with you." he hands over a plastic bag with two bottles of juice.