37

Lee Heeseung, I met him in my Uncle's military academy after fleeing from Australia. The first thing I wanted to be was physically and mentally strong. Heeseung was my teammate in the group I was assigned to. 

He was skinny and looked like a thin bamboo trunk just begging to be broken. I wasn't really that social at the time, I was still in the middle of my hatred towards my mother. He on the other hand was mysterious under the shy smile he would let me see.

For three years, we grew to be friends. Sometimes he reminded me of Felix, his goofy and bright side. Once, we stole our seniors' lunches to get a taste of punishments such as planking for 2 hours. We laughed and helped each other out during those days.

You can say that I was almost attached to him as a good friend. I cared and was ready to protect him from the back. 

But I guess we learn to be tougher the painful way.

FLASHBACK

"Did you ever mean any of it? All we've been through?" I held my bleeding stomach as my other hand supported me up from the ground. "Heeseung."

He stood in front of me, a knife in his hand, my blood dripping from it. His face was darkened and blocked with his wet hair. The rain washed the blood and it flood around us. 

I feel like I couldn't breathe.

"Heeseung- Tell me, please."

Why is he so quiet? Does he regret this?

"It's too late. I'm...scared to go back. I don't want to go back."

Back...back to where? I never knew where he came from. He was mysterious and I couldn't read him at all.

Not knowing anything really made me scared. I was powerless in that situation. What was I going to do?

"Hee-seung..." I reached out my hand and grabbed the end of his pants. The cargo pants are the same as mine, the camouflage shirt and the black band around our wrists, wet from the showering rain. "Help-me ack- please...Heeseung."

He stared. Stared into my pained expression. My wet short undercut hair. My wounded lips and bruised face.

"I don't want to go back to that hell hole." He pulled his leg making me let go and drop to the floor. "Sorry, YN. But you have to stay. That's how you'll grow stronger."

Was trying to kill me actually necessary? Couldn't he have just left and not said a word? Why hurt me? You could have just left, Heeseung.

FLASHBACK END

"You could have just left, Heeseung." I sat on a white couch, crossing my legs and my arms. "Why did you try and kill me?"

"I never intended to stab you, YN. I was ordered to." He gently rested a cup with tea in it. "They thought I killed you. They wanted me to cut ties with the people I became close with in the academy."

"You keep saying 'They', who are they? Where did you not want to go back to?"  I clenched my hands, I don't want to accidentally punch him. "You owe me answers."

He sat beside me and seemed to enjoy my curiosity. The smile he was showing...reminded me of back then...TSK!

"I wonder if you've ever tried to look for me... did you?"

"Never."

"Awe, ouch. Well to answer your questions, you need to do something for me first." he takes my hand but I slap it.

"Then never mind, I won't ask." I wanted to leave, I stood up but he pulled me back and I fell on him.

"Come on, YN. You've grown to be stingy and hard to talk to." He glared and pulled my hair back. 

"AH! Tsk- Try getting stabbed by your friend, you'll see!" 

I gave him a head bump and punched his chest so I could move away. Accidentally spilling the coffee on the table he recovered quickly and grabbed my neck. His hand fit my neck.

"I don't want to attempt to kill you again, YN. I want to talk." 

"And so do I!" I reach back and twist his arm. He lets me go and falls back on the floor, catching my breath. "I hated you and I still do! Can't believe you have the guts to show your face to me? Fuck off."

He rubs his arm and sighs, "The White Tigers told me to do it. They blackmailed me to bring me back to that land of poverty, I had no choice-"

"You had a choice! I gave you a choice to stay with me! But you chose to suffer more. And that's all on you." He drops his head and his knees. "White Tigers? Shit. You used to have my Uncle to protect you, and he was way more powerful that those bastards. He could have given you everything if you had stayed."

"How was I to know all that!? I was a kid for god damn sake! I don't know shit!" and he cried.

He's crying. Is this a front? Is he faking this? Or is he...really hurt? Slowly I stood up and walked towards him. His body shook and flinched. Tears fell on the wooden polished floor. 

The living room of his house echoed his cries.

"Living in that dump, not being able to eat or drink, I- I can't! I just couldn't."

I guess Jerome was right...I have gotten a bit soft. I kneel down and embrace him. He shivered and cried and held me close. 

"When was it? Back then when you cried like this?" I comb his hair, "The captain banned you from going to training and called you a wuss. You still cry too easily."

He's an enemy, that's how I see him. He was a friend, that's what I feel.

I don't need another weakness.