-13-

We all sat at the table together, eating Buffalo Wild Wings takeout.

When I told Dylan that I invited Alexis over, he started freaking out. Apparently he only talks to her briefly when he goes to pick up and drop off Nick from her house, so the idea of her coming to our house scared the shit out of him.

Still, I was shocked that he didn't rip my organs out or something. He wasn't really mad at me at all, surprisingly.

Alexis was sitting between me and Nick, and across from Dylan. Of course, Mom and Dad were happy to have her over. It's their dream for her and Dylan to get back together.

It didn't take long for Alexis to start gossiping about me and Devin. It was probably the first conversation she brought up.

"I told Maddie to steal him back, but she's too morally correct for that." she laughed and took a sip of her lemonade.

I was slightly mortified after she revealed all of my secret jealousy issues, but I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't know Devin had a girlfriend." Mom invaded the conversation, and I wanted to die.

Dylan let out a laugh in response.

"Me either." Alexis added. "She sounds like a real bitch."

I cringed as everyone chatted incessantly about Devin — the one topic I purposely wanted to avoid.

"I don't think he's been home since he moved out there." Dad commented.

Mom nodded in agreement. "We sure do miss him. Make sure he knows that he's always welcome here, Maddie."

"Oh trust me, he knows." I muttered and dipped a boneless wing in ranch.

Dylan probably felt equally as weird about this topic as I did. He's called Devin recently to tell him about Brandon's new girlfriend, but they didn't talk about much else. I think there's some lingering tension between them still.

Dad switched the conversation once he realized that Dylan and I were both feeling incredibly awkward.

"How have things been for you, Alexis?" he asked curiously, and I knew she was about to tell him everything. Alexis doesn't hold back.

"Exhausting." she revealed. "Dad's been harassing me about going to school, but that's like basically impossible to do with a toddler.  And then Mom wants me to start dating again, which I'm really not interested in right now. She said I should be married by now and have my own place — how the hell does she expect me to do that?"

"You'll figure it all out, honey. I was in a similar situation at your age, and the only way to get through that kind of stress is patience." Mom said.

Dad nodded in agreement. "Look, if it ever gets out of hand over there, you're always welcome here. We'll help out with Nick anytime. Don't hesitate to call."

She smiled. "That means a lot to me. Thank you."

Dylan was unusually quiet through the entirety of dinner. When Alexis went to leave, Dylan stepped outside with her. They were on the front porch for a few hours talking.

Mom tried to stand near the windows to try and hear what they were talking about, but you could barely hear anything.

"It seems like they're getting along out there." she updated us when she came back into the kitchen.

"Good." Dad nodded. "There's no reason for them to not be on speaking terms. Especially when they've got a kid together."

The breakup ruined their communication. I knew Dylan felt insanely guilty about all of it, but he would never say anything about that to anyone.