-15-

I checked my phone after ignoring it from across the room as it buzzed over and over. There's only a few people who would spam text me like that, and the possibilities were currently pretty limited.

It was Devin. He wanted to pick me up in ten minutes for whatever reason.

I let out a sigh and went to my room to get changed. All I've accomplished today included me sitting on my bed or on the couch. I like lazy days, though. But sometimes it's fun to go do stuff. And it's always unreasonably funny when you're with Devin.

I threw on an oversized sweatshirt and shorts with my white Nikes right as he texted me that he was in my dorm parking lot.

I went downstairs and met him outside.

"Greetings." he wore his Ray bans sunglasses and an extremely similar outfit to mine.

"Why are we matching?" I glared at him in horror, and he started snickering.

"Because we're always on the same wavelength." he replied. "I bet you're craving Taco Bell right now too — just like me."

"You're spot on." I admitted while climbing into his car. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere." he smiled, neglecting to go into further detail. What a cryptic cow.

"I didn't get to do my hair." I complained.

He gave me a quick glance. "Your hair looks good."

Devin was blasting Janie's Got a Gun by Aerosmith while we drove to god knows where. Things were loud and chaotic until his phone started ringing and interrupted the music.

I read the name on the screen in his car and then watched as he answered the call quickly.

"Hey, Jess." he smiled naughtily, like she was the absolute only person he wanted to speak to.

I hated how much he liked her. The jealousy made me feel nauseous.

He held a smile through the entire phone call until the very end. His expression dropped when she said something through the phone that I couldn't hear.

"Yeah, I mean I was already doing stuff today. But sure." he replied, making my stomach sink.

I knew he was about to cancel our plans for her.
The car was turned around completely before he even hung up on her, signaling to me that he was more than likely bringing me back to my apartment. When push comes to shove, he'll do absolutely anything for her.

He ended the call and then let out a sigh of frustration. "Do you mind if she comes with us? She's asking me and I really don't want to piss her off by saying no."

I gave him a confused look, hoping he would realize that I'm absolutely not okay with that.

"It won't be that bad." he pressed. "She's really nice. You and her would get along."

I couldn't explain to him that she strongly dislikes me because she sees me as a threat to her relationship without flat out telling Devin that I have feelings for him. So I didn't say anything to back myself up even though I really fucking wanted to.

Instead, I let Devin drive to her house without speaking up for myself. I was letting her ruin our hangout that she wasn't invited to, and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. 

Devin parked his car in her paved stone driveway that led up to a large, white, modern home. As wealthy as my family is, I was in shock to see the size of her house, especially because she lives in California. Being rich in California is different than being rich in Tennessee.