-16-

THIS is for a certain part in this chapter. You'll know what it is when you get to it.

Devin pulled his phone out of his pocket, accidentally giving me a quick glance at the amount of times that Jessica had been calling him while he was on the ride. I pretended not to see, even though I could tell that he was having a small panic attack over it.

I wasn't even sure of where we were headed to at this point. Devin was walking in a more certain direction than me, and I was just following him, hoping that he knew where he was going. We went back into the gift shop, failing to find Jessica.

"I'm fucked." Devin muttered. "I think I really might be fucked."

It's not like I warned him or anything. He was so persistent on riding something with me that he pushed her to the side completely.

We finally found her at one of the outdoor cafes, sipping on an iced latte and reading a book by herself.

"Have fun?" she asked him in a sassy tone.
Part of me was supporting her just for simply standing her ground.

Devin didn't answer her question, and instead, he handed her the bag of stuff that he had bought for her earlier.

She glanced at the bag and then back at him like she wouldn't accept his shitty unapologetic gift.
I felt like less of the target was on me, which was weird. She didn't seem as angry with me.

Devin pulled out of one of the chairs next to her and sat down like he knew that she wanted to talk to him alone. I picked up on the signals also, because Devin glanced at me every few seconds and then back at her.

I pretended to get a phone call and then I walked away to a completely different area of the theme park so that I could FaceTime Josh.

He answered in a sparkly, revealing costume that was clearly made for a female body.

"Josh, what the hell are you wearing?"

He positioned the camera on his desk and then backed up so I could see his entire outfit. "It's one of Britney Spears' costumes from one of her concerts. It was on Ebay for only 700 dollars and I bought it."

I gaped at him. "Josh, that's so expensive."

"I've been saving up." he beamed pridefully. "I want to start traveling more. I got a job at the wellness center, so I've been making a semi- steady income."

"Hell yeah." I smiled brightly. "I'm proud of you."

He started striking poses in the Britney Spears costume as I congratulated him, and I giggled at the outfit that didn't fit him at all.

"I'm about to be so rich. The workers here love me. I have a feeling they'll promote me to a higher position. This place pays so good too. You should come work here with me during the summer."

I chuckled. "That's very considerable."

He grabbed his phone and laid back down on his bed lazily. "So what's going on right now?"

"Jessica went to the bathroom and Devin was practically begging me to go ride something with him, so I did. Now she's mad at him. They're off talking somewhere." I explained vaguely.

"Maddie, can I tell you something?" Josh asked.

I gave him a confused look. "Sure."

He started moving pillows around on his bed while talking. "I think if you were to admit your feelings to Devin, he would break up with Jessica in a fucking heartbeat for you."

"I don't have feelings for him." I lied. "Not anymore at least."

He laughed darkly. "Okay, liar."