-22-

We sat in Anna's car for a long time exchanging conversation occasionally, but mostly just sitting in silence. I leaned the passenger seat back and rolled the window down with my feet propped out of it.

We had been gone for about an hour and a half and I knew I was going to have to go back soon. I didn't want to see Jessica, but I really didn't want to see Devin. Things are going to be awkward now.

"I have to get home, Maddie." Anna said.
"I'd let you come stay over but we've got family in town and it's super crowded. You can still stay if you want, though. My aunt loves you."

I shook my head and sat up.
"Don't worry about it. I'm just gonna go to my room and not converse for the rest of the night. I'll probably leave tomorrow and go to the library for a while."

"If she gives you trouble, just let her have it." Josh said.
"Don't let that bitch walk all over you."

I smiled at his support.
"Thanks Josh."

Anna started driving back to my house as slow as she could go while still being legal.

"I'd stomp her throat if I had the chance..." Josh muttered under his breath. He likes to talk a big game.

Once we pulled up to my house, I thanked them over and over for having my back and supporting me. It's nice to have real friends that will be there for you without hesitation.

I went inside and locked the door behind me, immediately freaking out over the sight of Devin sitting in the living room.
He looked up when I walked in and immediately stood up. I fucking hated this so much.

"Madison- wait." He stopped me before I could go up the stairs.

I turned around and he stood at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me.

"I'm fucking sorry for that. I don't know where that came from or why she said it, but I need you to know that I'm not okay with it."

I opened my mouth to say that it was fine, but he stopped me before I could speak, leaving my mouth hanging open and then I immediately shut it so he could talk.

"I talked to her while you were gone." He explained while staring up at me.
"You don't have to worry about her anymore."

I looked at him in confusion.
"You broke up with her?"

"No." He replied quickly, shaking his head.
"It's more like a strike one kind of thing. But I made sure that she won't talk to you like that anymore. It won't happen again."

She didn't deserve him and it bothered me. Not because I wanted to be in her position, but because Devin shouldn't have to put up with her shit all day long. She's a mean girl and Devin's close to the equivalent of an angel in my eyes.
I've worried for a long time about her hurting him, and I'm still cautious about it. He's been hurt too many times by people who claim to love him, and I don't want to see it happen again.

"Okay." I replied quietly.
"Thank you for that."

He nodded and kept staring at me in a way that meant he wanted to say something else.
I stared back at him, waiting for him to say something, but he looked zoned out.

"Is there something else?" I asked after a few seconds of waiting.

He blinked out of his 15 second trance and then dug around in his pocket.
"Oh- yeah, I was wondering if you wanted to go for a drive for a little while. We can maybe talk a little, I don't know."