-2-

I had to walk back to the car with Dad to get my phone, and he made me hustle back to the security line because I was running very late for my flight now.

I made it, though, by the skin of my teeth.

The plane ride was long and rough. We had a shit ton of turbulence about halfway over Denver, and it lasted for the majority of the flight.

I watched Top Gun and 2 Star Wars Movies out of pure boredom. 7 hours later, we started landing. It was 9 PM in San Francisco, and I texted Devin as soon as I landed.

A nice man helped me get my carry on bags from out of the overhead bins. He was from Knoxville, because he had an accent, good manners, and he was sporting a UT Knoxville hat. We had an instant connection.

I got off of the plane and got a milkshake from the Steak 'n Shake in the airport and then made my way towards the exit area. I saw Devin instantly, and all of my initial worries practically disappeared.

We hugged, of course, and I couldn't believe this was my first time seeing him in two years. He looked the exact same, but more grown up. His hug was tight and secure, and I admittedly savored his natural smell for as long as possible.

"Welcome to my stomping grounds, Madison." he joked, before hugging me again.

He looked so unbelievably excited right now, which made me happy. I enjoyed seeing him like this — bubbly and full of energy.

"It's about to be our stomping grounds." I corrected him with a playful grin.

He took my suitcases from me and carried them like a real gentleman. I was secretly happy that he did that because it made it a lot easier to drink my milkshake.

We went to the parking garage, where his G Wagon was parked in all of its glory. He drives the most majestic car I've ever seen in my life.

He opened my door for me, and then put my suitcases in the trunk before starting the car.

"You look so grown up." he commented while pulling out of the parking garage and back onto the interstate. "It's insane."

"So do you." I replied, while setting my milkshake in one of his cup holders.

He smiled to himself, like he forgot I was watching him. "I'm so fucking happy you're here."

My stomach did a million backflips. Of course, I was still incredibly obsessed with him. I've spent the last two years thinking about him and all of the things he said to me before he left. I wasn't sure where we stood right now at all, but I knew how I felt about him for certain.

That hasn't changed.

Devin drove me to my dorm building, which took us forever to find since there's probably a million of them scattered in one spot. We were listening to Mac Miller the whole time, though, so it made the miserable search less miserable.

When we finally found it, he parked in the parking lot and helped me carry my suitcases in.

I unlocked the door and walked in. The dorm was laid out more like an apartment with a small living room and kitchen and a few small bedrooms.

"Hey!" I was immediately greeted by a friendly face. She had long blonde hair, and brown eyes. "Are you Maddie?"

"That's me." I smiled, and she handed me a few keys.