-14-

I waited for Dylan to start driving back home, but he didn't. The car never moved. He sat there for a second, adjusting the AC, and looking for a song to play on his phone.

My head was hurting and I felt tired, but Dylan looked like he was wide awake and ready to go run a marathon or something.

"So what did he want?" he asked casually after taking a sip of his drink.

"Nothing." I held myself back from snapping at him, even though I knew Dylan was still bitter about things.

He furrowed his eyebrows like he didn't believe me. "Why'd he call you, then? You were on the phone with him for a while."

"He didn't know that I was home. That's all."

"And why didn't you tell him?"

I sighed at all the questions that were being thrown at me by him. Nothing about the phone call was secretive or interesting. He was checking in on me and that's it.

"Dylan, I don't know." I groaned. "I left quickly and didn't have time to tell him. Why do you care so much?"

He shrugged while playing with his phone case, popping it on and off. "I'm just wondering when he's going to profess his undying, unexplainable love for you."

I glanced at Dylan with confusion. "He's not gonna do that because... you know... he has a girlfriend."

"You don't know that." he muttered. "What if he's trying to make you jealous?"

"He's not." I shot back.

Dylan shrugged like he didn't believe me. "He's never dated a woman before in his life, Madison. He waited around for years just so he could have you."

"Yes, and that was over 2 years ago. People change a lot in 2 years, Dylan. I mean, look at you." I said while gesturing to his increase of maturity and facial hair.

He shrugged. "Did he date anyone for those two years after he left?"

"No."

He smirked like my response answered the question he was indirectly asking.

I was thrown off, but I didn't want to be like Dylan, reading in too deeply. There are a lot of theories in my head already about Devin and Jessica simply because I think too much. Dylan apparently does the same.

"It's probably not as deep as you think it is."

"Maybe not." Dylan finally agreed. "And the only reason I'm so curious about all of this is because I don't want you to get hurt."

I shook my head. "I'm not going to. I'm not in a position where I can get hurt."

"That's far from the truth." he chuckled. "He's hurting you right now and you're not even the one dating him. He's trying to make you jealous — I'm telling you."

"I'm not jealous." I argued back.

He made a face like he wasn't convinced. "Yes, you are."

~~~

My decision to visit the hospital was extremely impulsive. I turned into the massive parking garage with little thought, and walked in to the waiting room after finding out what room Dan Smalls was in.

I played on my phone for a while, unsure of what I would even talk to his Dad about. We've only spoken to each other a handful of times.

Visiting hours opened, and I went to find his room hesitantly. I know that it's not my job to check in on Devin's Dad everytime I'm home, but I do it for him anyway. It's the least I can do.