-34-

I sat on his bed timidly with my legs crossed as he fed Marco Polo in his enclosure.

Everything was throbbing — literally — and I felt like a hot mess. Part of me wanted to leave from the nerves building up inside of me, but another part of me felt crazy and wanted to stay.

He suggested it. And he promised me that I could say no without offending him. I knew what I was getting myself into, but it still made me so fucking nervous now that the realism was finally hitting me.

Devin turned and looked at me.
"You look nervous."

It must've been extremely obvious, because I was nervous. Like, I could've passed out easily.

"Only a little." I lied, with a hint of sarcasm laced in my tone.

He lightly laughed, and closed Marco Polo's enclosure.
"Well, don't worry. Marco Polo's going in the other room. He won't even watch you."

He picked up the large enclosure and carried it into the living room of his apartment and out of his bedroom and then shut the door.
I couldn't help but smile over that just because it was funny.

Devin washed his hands in the bathroom and then came back into his room. My heart rate increased rapidly.

He sat next to me on the bed with a respectful distance between us — nothing too close. I was kind of grateful for that.
He sat there for a minute, and then started talking.

"So, my first time, I was like ... 15. I was horny as shit and super careless. There was this girl who played soccer that I thought was hot or whatever, and me and her were pretty close." he started explaining, while I listened.

"But yeah, we fucked in her car after practice. It was gross and sweaty and really hot. But I wasn't a virgin anymore, and that's all I cared about." he laughed.

"I thought you would've lost it way earlier." I said.
"Since Dylan lost his when he was like, 12 or 13."

Devin shook his head.
"No, all of our friends lost theirs super early. They really prided themselves on that. I was the last one for a long time, actually. They used to make fun of me and shit — Justin was always trying to set me up with someone so I could finally get laid — they were always bribing me with money — it was a weird time."

I would've guessed that story completely differently, but, as usual, I knew less about Devin than I thought.

"But you became a douchebag after that." I reminded him, in a playful manner.

He laughed.
"Yeah. I became a huge douchebag. But the puberty hit, so I was at least a hot douchebag."

He wasn't wrong about that. I remember having a small crush on him for a while when he was about 16 or 17, even though he was a shitty person. It wore off once he started making out with girls on my couch and he got into a relationship with Lauren, though.

We had both subconsciously laid down on his bed, both of our arms resting behind our heads as we stared at the ceiling.

"Sex is neat." he said out of nowhere.

I looked at him when he said this.
"Yeah, I can imagine."

He smiled at me, and my insides must've melted.
"How nervous are you?"

"So nervous." I finally admitted.

"I can tell."

The room got really quiet for a few seconds, and I stared at the ceiling, waiting for him to say something else.