-31-

Devin

The days were much warmer as spring slowly approached California.
I planned to spend my spring break at the beach alone. It sounded boring in theory, but I thoroughly enjoy relaxing by myself. It's therapeutic. And healing.

Stanford felt restricting as I walked through campus. My class ended about 5 minutes ago, and I was having a mental debate between going to the library or going home. Technically, I didn't need to go to the library— but it would probably be smart to go and get things done to ensure a leisurely, happy weekend.

I eventually went to the library after thinking about it deeply for a long time. There wasn't much else for me to be doing, anyway. Productivity keeps me from thinking about other things— so it's pretty important for me to keep myself busy and to load down with work.

I had a job interview scheduled for this afternoon, which I was frantically paranoid about. I haven't worked a job since I was in highschool, which I only did because I needed a reason to not be at home with my parents in the afternoons.

Since I had past experience with hosting, serving, and a tiny bit of bartending, I was going for a job in that category.
This was a bartending job at a live performance venue downtown, which I've actually been to a few times for their iconic classic rock nights. I fucking live for those.

I sat down at a table in the back corner of the library, behind a shelf full of thick geography books.
It only took about 10 seconds for me to realize that Maddie was sitting at a table probably 20 feet away from me.

She noticed me as well, and came over to my table to not cause a scene in the middle of the quiet library.

"What are you doing here?" she asked curiously, sitting next to me and gazing at my open laptop.

"I'm just studying mostly." I admitted.
"Trying to keep myself busy before my job interview tonight."

She knew about the job interview because I had mentioned it to her a few days ago. She was technically the one to encourage me to apply for work, and I was grateful for that.

Obviously I need the money, but I could also really use some more productivity. School isn't enough for me. I need to be bogged down in work to the point that I'm unable to contact others. After breaking up with Jessica, I realized that I've given myself too much spare, useless time. And I planned to fill in those gaps of unproductiveness.

"You'll do great. And if you start to not feel confident, just flirt. My Dad taught me that. I mean, you're not a girl, but still." she said casually.

I laughed, because it sounded exactly like something her Dad would say. He has the most random tips and pieces of advice, and for some reason, they're extremely useful.

"I forgot to tell you, but Leo and Charlie are meeting me here at some point." she said, to which I almost winced.

One of the only interactions I've ever had with both of them was a while ago— and I barely remember it. Were they nice? I have no idea.
I speak to Charlie every once in a while at practices, but it's never anything interesting. Just the occasional "how's your day going?" or "you played really well at the last game."
Still, I can say that I've found it in me to not hate him as much as I previously did— which is good.