-37-

Maddie

Work was quieter than it's ever been.

Trent decided not to show up for some reason, and the only person who had spoken to me since I walked in was Kale. He complimented my shoes.

Sterling never came in to greet us or check in on our projects, which is something he normally would make the time to do. I thought it was strange.

Bella and Declan sat at one computer, huddling together secretively and exclusively. They repulsed me.

Bella repulsed me.

After finding out that she went to Devin's workplace and spoke to him made me want to commit horrible crimes. I know that she flirted with him too, but Devin probably never noticed it enough to include that detail. But I knew.

I stared at her back from across the room, wishing that my eyes were shooting lasers out and piercing through her shirt, into her skin.

She was editing the pictures that she took last night. I saw the rows of whiskey bottles on her screen and thought about how Devin watched her take them. They were alone too, which bothered me. 

I vaguely overheard her telling Declan about her experience at the bar with the 'hot bartender' who plays soccer at Stanford. That crossed the line for me, and I truly felt like I was about to burst at any second from the anger building inside of me.

I felt so possessive, but this is the closest I've ever gotten to finally having him. I can't have someone else fucking it up. I won't allow it at all.

The next five minutes of my life were a blur. I stood up from my work station and gathered all of my things. Everyone looked at me as I exited the room, and walked straight to Sterling's office, which was only a few doors down.

The loud, bustling atmosphere of the office turned into silence as my mind became clouded by blank thoughts. I walked quickly to the office, turning the knob with my hand quickly and neglecting to knock.

Sterling was at his desk, his brows furrowed from my unexpected disruption. My eyes wandered to the seats in front of his desk, where Trent was sitting with tears in his eyes.

What the hell was going on?
Why the hell did I just barge in?

"Maddie, can I help you?" Sterling asked impatiently, insinuating that I was interrupting something important.

My chest tightened and my legs became numb as I struggled to find the words that I was trying to say.

"Yes sir. I need to put in my 2 weeks." I choked out the words nervously.
"I'd like to leave the program. Please."

————————————————————————

"So what next? You're gonna drop out of college too?" Charlie snapped, after I told him about me putting in my 2 weeks.

It was a really reckless decision that I probably should've put more thought into, but I guess I expected Charlie to be a little bit more supportive.

"I have to leave." I defended myself.
"The environment is so toxic."

I purposely left out the part that was really bothering me: Bella. There was no way in hell I would continue to work with her after she went behind my back like that. What was she planning to do? Why did she have to go to Devin of all people?