Chapter 3

Janna.

Well today is the day I'm leaving my mum,to work as a maid. I got ready and I'm packing my bags at the moment, I sluggishly did it so that we'll be late,then mama will say we should add like a week or even more, but urgh I'm just deceiving myself. yesterday I payed isra a visit,I'm going to miss them all.
I still have my fancy box and also some good clothes.

Janna! Janna! Your aunt is going to leave you fah,what are you waiting for haaah?

I'm sorry mama,I was packing my bags

So it's now you want to finish packing your bags,dalla let's go, my aunt said;

I'm going to miss you so much mummy ,pls take care of yourself,and take your medications regularly,Insha Allah I'll buy you a big mansion when I get back okay.

My mum hugged me then she gave me a bracelet and a two thousand naira note. Then we left.

It felt so nice to hit back on the road again,but unfortunately this was for a different purpose, felt like jumping through the window and run back to my mama....

After what seemed like forever,we arrived at the Emir's palace in Kano,it's so big and inviting.

We entered inside... The royal guards and maids roaming about doing one thing or the other,some set of guards playing the local Hausa drum to keep the palace entertaining ,it's a modern type of palace,everything innit screamed money and classs. I badly want to meet the queen and see the aura of royalty that she got( I've always loved royalty).
Anty Maryam took us to her room,we prayed and ate,she told me to avoid any questions that comes my way for I was leaving the next day,and I should not go out.

I was bored,I begged and begged her to allow me go out but she wouldn't even listen to me. I decided to do the only thing that was ringing in my head.

When she went out to greet the queen as she was the jakadiya of the palace. She forgot to lock the door behind her like she'd earlier when she went to get us food.  so I followed her a few minutes later , but slowly and silently just Incase.... and thankfully there were no maids around, I started strolling round the palace, I met different people doing different chores,I believe some were guests and all. They were giving me the Who are you look,but I ignored them and continued walking until I came across a giant beautiful golden gate( this king is indeed rich as heard) where I saw THE QUEENS CHAMBERS boldly written beside the gate. I decided to visit the queen,after all I've always wanted to see a queen in person,but what if I meet anty Maryam there..,uhh I know what to tell her...,. I saw two guards at the gate, I was scared thinking of what to say before I mustard the courage then I went closer.

Hello good evening, my name is janna,I'm a new maid here and the jakadiyya sent me to the queen.
They didn't even answer,I looked like I was crat cray, making me wonder if they were deaf  or something.

One of the guards whispered something to other guard before they opened the giant gate for me, I muttered a thank you before heading inside.

I was so scared the place was so quiet and there were less people in the chamber compared to the outer part of the palace,I saw three different doors, I didn't know which one to enter ,ahh but the king has three wives so I'll just quickly see anyone kawai,I thought.

I decided  to enter the second door, I met another set of two guards,I guess this should probably be the second queen's part, I told the guards same thing I told the first set of guards I met before they let me in. I thanked them before walking through the long,beautiful hallway, it was decorated with different Olden portraits,that portrays  a lot about the hausa land and it's culture. Something really cute caught my attention,it was a portrait of the queen and her children, Masha Allah this woman is really beautiful and her children are so Oh Emm gee.

I met a maid coming out from a mini door, holding a tray of snacks and juice,she was giving me a strange look, i decided to clear the tension.
Hello I'm janna,I'm looking for the jakadiyya.

Okay nice to meet you, I'm afra and I'm a maid here, if you're looking for anty Maryam,then follow me,she said with a smile.

Thank you,i replied also smiling, they aren't that bad after all( or maybe those you've met aren't bad) my subconscious said.
But how many have I even met,she's the only one I've spoken to, apart from the guards.

After a walk of about 3-5 minutes we entered  through a door and I saw the woman in the big portrait I saw earlier,clouded in a golden alkayba,she looks more beautiful and young in person,she looks like she's in her mid or early fifties,then anty Maryam was sitting directly on the floor by her right massaging the queens foot, she almost fainted when she saw me.
I went forward and greeted the queen,she gave me a welcoming smile before she answered.

Good evening your highness.

Evening dear how're you,said the queen
Jakadiyya,who is this beautiful young lady ?

Actually your highness she's my niece I came with her earlier today when I went to see my sister in Bauchi, and she's leaving for Abuja tomorrow to work as a maid,anty Maryam said with a bow;

Oh Masha Allah,but y'know we're looking for two extra maids here why not leave her  here for us. The queen said;

Anty Maryam gave me the you're so dead look,before she turned to the queen and said your wish is our command my queen;

She smiled and asked for my name, what's your name beautiful?

I'm janna your highness.

Masha Allah a beautiful name for a beautiful lady,so you'll start working from tomorrow okay, the queen said;

The queen and anty Maryam were conversing  when a cute little boy at about 8years came in, I also saw him in the big portrait on the hallway,I believe he's the queen's little man.

Mummy mummy I want chocolates please he said;
Okay go inside my room and take some, do NOT scatter my room Junaid. The queen said;

Yaay.thank you mummy,he gave her a peck before he ran towards another door.

The boy and his mum brought back some old memories of I and my dad, he always got me icecream and chocolate, I felt like crying.

That was when I noticed three other doors In the sitting room, ( what's with this palace and doors naa ahh) I rolled my eyes;

We are now back in the maids chambers, when I heard a resounding slap on my cheek, my brain was trying to process who it came from and why it landed on my face.
Are you mad janna ? I thought I warned you not to step a foot out side,have you seen what you've caused for yourself now ? And you must work here wether you like it or not, better start preparing,I know what the maids go through here that's why I told you not to go out,but anyways you chose it for yourself so you'll pay for it. Anty Maryam said under one breath;

I'm sorry anty Maryam,I heard a strange sound and I got scared that's why I came out, and I don't mind I'll work here. I said  crying.

It's okay janna,I'm sorry for slapping you I was only angry,Allah yayi maki albarka.

Ameen.

Whoa whoa whoa!!
I still tried sha😁