Hiraeth's Account I: The Line That Divides Us

Omg! Happy 100k Solace! Salamat po sa lahat ng nagbasa. Dahil diyan, may pajacket⁠— este, may pa-special chapter tayo! Hi Daddy Rae, hihihi.

Warning: Medyo may spoiler 'pag 'di niyo nabasa WPGQ, hehe.

-special account: hiraeth-
____________________

EVER SINCE I grew consciousness, the world I knew was one filled with trees and magic. The riverbanks where I stayed for the most days invited animals all over the forest. The sky occasionally rains, but it's mostly blue with rare appearances of clouds.

Everyday was mostly the same.

I have a routine that I religiously follow. From waking up and taking a stroll, to watching the sun set and calling it a day. For the past three years, this is my constant.

Until it ceased to be a constant anymore.

"Keiko."

Tawag ko sa aking fox na mukhang aligaga. Its nine tails swished and she keeps on gesturing somewhere. I frowned, looking up from the berries I'm tying. What got her attention now?

"Is something wrong?"

Keiko only snapped her tails before rushing towards the direction she was eyeing. Worried, I followed her, keeping an eye out in my surroundings. This forest is guarded with elven spirits so no one can usually enter it. Siguro'y may nakapasok dito kaya hindi mapakali si Keiko.

Pero... sino naman ang papasok sa lugar na 'to?

I slowed down when I felt it. Someone's here in the forest with me. They're not threatening, but I don't know if they're friendly. No one, not even the locals from the town, has entered this forest. Just who is this person?

Natigilan ako nang makita ito. Isang babae ang nakatayo sa gitna ng damuhan. Hair as white and pure as snow, eyes that held the color and clearness of the ocean, pinkish lips upturned into a frown, elven ears that adorably peeked out of the hair, and milky skin of a fair maiden.

She looks undeniably stunning, even though she's fuming.

"Paano ako makakakain ng hapunan nito! Ang sarap pa naman no'n!"

I fought back a smile when I heard her whine. Her voice isn't small or high-pitched, instead it held an edge over the clarity. It was a voice that steals everyone attention. A voice meant to be heard.

Tinadyak niya ang paa sa lupa bago umupo sa malaking ugat ng kahoy. She looks really frustrated now. I can't help but wonder what she's worrying about. Nawawala kaya siya? The forest can be really confusing for those who came uninvited. It becomes a maze-like prison.

Ngunit... hapunan? Why is she thinking about that when it's midday?

A pout formed in her lips as she obviously racked her brains in finding the exit. Ilang sandali akong nanatili sa kinatatayuan at nakatitig lang sa kaniya. Then, I snapped back to my senses.

What am I doing here, watching someone so closely like a stalker? Even though she isn't really doing anything, isn't my behavior too weird and strange? Aren't I invading her privacy as well?

Napaatras ako. Dahil sa ginawa ay napatingin si Keiko sa aking banda. The bush she's hiding in rustled, taking the pretty woman's attention. I motioned for Keiko to stop and that we both leave, pero ang pag-alis niya ay masyado ring maingay para sa tahimik na gubat. From the corner of my eye, I saw the woman stand up.