A War, A Runaway, A Murder Pt. 2

3rd P.O.V.
          The duo made it to the trees that hid the East fence, their hearts practically beating out of their chests from anxiety.

           "There shouldn't be a lot of guards here..." Justin was thinking aloud as the two quietly walked through the lightly wooded area. Liz just nodded and followed behind the boy, holding a knife that he had given her. "Look, we're gonna go up that tree and scout. See if there's any guards, see which part of the fence we want to leave from, and look for any possible threats outside of the fence."

           "Like the monsters?" Liz asked, to which Justin nodded as he hoisted himself into the first part of the tree. He turned to the girl, holding out a hand to pull her up. Liz put the knife in her backpack and set it down, taking the teen's hand and climbing into the tree with him.

"Okay, it looks like all of the guards are still looking for us on the other side..." Justin observed as he sat on one of the higher branches of the tree, moving some of the leaves out of his face. Liz was on a branch beside him, looking farther down the fence and not seeing anything.

"We can just jump this part of the fence then, can't we?" Liz asked, pointing in front of them. The fence wasn't some fancy defense mechanism meant to keep things out, the fences were mostly keeping people in. It was a chain link fence with swirled barbed wire across the top, the stories kids were told always saying that the monsters were allergic to the material that the fence was made out of and that's why they were never around.

             "Yeah we can, we're gonna throw a towel over the barbed wire on top so we don't get cut." Justin then began climbing down the tree until a cluster of thunderous hoof steps stopped him in his tracks. "Shit."

              "Find the boy and the girl! Half of you go to the South fence!" Someone commanding officers caused both teens to try and hide themselves in the tree, the hairs on their necks standing up in fear.

               "Fuck," Justin muttered, realizing that their bags were on the ground next to the tree. "We need to grab those. Stay here," The ash haired teen then began making his way down the branch.

"Let me help, I'll get lower and you can toss them up to me, it'll make things go faster!" Liz offered, and knowing that there was no time to argue Justin just nodded and jumped down from the tree. He watched as the girl scooted closer to him, leaning down and holding her hand out. "Throw one!"

               He threw hers up first, the girl catching it and throwing it over her shoulders with ease before leaning down to catch the next one. "It's heavy," Justin warned, to which she shook her head and made a grabbing motion with her hand. He tossed his bag up, the brunette catching it and hoisting it up onto the branch that she was sitting on just as the thumping of the horses hooves came closer.

                Justin climbed the tree quickly, getting to a place where he could hide in the leaves and see the ground just as the Mayor's men were on them. Liz had scooted back up her branch, holding both bags and carefully balancing herself in the tree.

                "Search everything there is to search, that Novak boy is a smart one," a man ordered, and they could see the group of people on horses below them. "And be careful! He was ballsy enough to punch the Mayor, he's not scared of any of us."

"You punched the Mayor?!" Liz whispered in shock, her eyes wide.

"Later," Justin whispered back, watching the men carefully and forming a plan.

               "We could just find the girl and lure him out," one of them said, which earned a scoff from someone else.

               "Wherever the girl is that boy probably isn't far behind, we're better off taking out the threat first." Came another response from someone farther off.