Wake Up (AADIH #15)

Olivia slowly opened her eyes, her body feeling heavy as she raised one arm to rub the sleep from them. She hissed out in pain, her wrist burning in pain causing her to hold it close to her chest with her other arm. Her head was pounding and fuzzy as she struggled to remember what exactly happened to lead her here. 

               "Oh my god, you're awake! Thank god!" The stranger's voice startled the girl, and her head shot up to stare at where the sound came from. There was a man with blonde hair and hazel eyes, sitting in front of Liz who was leaned against a wall. Upon further observation she realized that Zoe was right beside her, and this caused Olivia to panic.

               "Who are you?! Get away from her!" Olivia demanded, using her good arm to reach for her pistol on her hip that wasn't there. Shit.

               "I'm so sorry for scaring you, I came across your friend and she asked for my help! She said you knew my son, his name is Koa." The blonde explained, and Olivia furrowed her eyebrows as she processed what was being said. 

               "I thought his dad was dead," Olivia replied, her voice weary as she watched the man's movements. 

               "He thought I was dead too, but right now I'm worried about getting us back to him. I told your friend I'd help her to a car she was talking about, but then she passed out." 

               "Olivia!" River called out through the earpiece, his loud voice causing the girl to flinch. "You're okay!"

                "Is this guy telling the truth River?" Olivia asked, keeping eye contact with the man, who didn't move at all. She then glanced over at her friends, both of them unmoving as well but their chests slowly rising and falling, signaling that they were still alive. 

                "Yes, his name is Gabriel and he's Koa's dad. Can you move? Yoel and Justin went to go find another car so they could head over to you guys, but you're about 45 minutes away..." The teen trailed off, and another voice could be heard in the background. 

                "Gabriel, is it?" Olivia asked the man, and he looked at her surprised before nodding. "I'm Olivia, that's Zoe and the girl in front of you is Liz. I'm assuming I only woke up because of one of the perks she has, and that's why she passed out." 

               "I-I don't know, God I was so worried you guys weren't going to make it or I wasn't going to be able to get you all out of here. There's a growing horde outside and I couldn't carry all of you at once." Gabriel ran a hand through his hair, stress evident on his face as he breathed heavily. 

               "My friends are looking for another car right now, but we shouldn't stay here. It's not safe if there really is a horde outside," Olivia slowly pulled herself up, balancing her body on the wall. Surprisingly, she wasn't in as much pain as she thought she would be in, which made her look down at Liz suspiciously. "I think one of her perks are still activated, which means I could probably help you carry one of them out."

               Gabriel looked at Olivia like she was crazy. "What? No! I can carry them both if you just worry about getting yourself out of here. You're going to have to lead me to the car Liz was talking about too. Your wrist looked like it's injured pretty bad, please if it's the case that she still has a perk activated you can't waste it." 

               "Fine, but I'll be killing any of the zombies that get in our way. If you can grab them, I'm going to go find my bat and my gun." Gabriel nodded at Olivia, and she walked along the wall until she made it to the rubble. Gabriel hoisted Zoe onto his left shoulder, bending back down and somehow picking up the other girl on his other shoulder. Olivia found her gun underneath some rubble, but couldn't find her bat. Instead, in a broken glass case on the wall, there was an axe that Olivia grabbed.