He must think I was weird

[Trigger warning: Domestic abuse]

(Monday evening)

Aphrodite dropped her spoon in horror." What?!" she remarked, very unlike her usual self.

I just told her I dropped out of school at 13. Yeah, the conversation wasn't going that well.

"I had to run the bookstore" I answered, not sure of what else to say. Should I apologize? She was looking at me as if she expected an apology.

It was never my plan. But my dad had gotten a new job and couldn't give the bookstore the attention it deserved. And Helen had two kids to raise so she didn't want to do it.

So when I came back one year for the holidays, I knew it had to be me.

And that's been my life since then.

"Well, that certainly won't do! No! A daughter of Athena shouldnt just waste her life at a bookstore! You must go to school!" she declared.

I gave her a small smile, "my parents can't afford to send me to school great aunt Aphrodite. It's really not a big deal"

She looked offended. "Not a big deal? Hmmph. Have you even studied in all these years?"

"Yes actually," I said, pleased that something worked out for me. "I have a tutor named Chiron,he technically homeschools me. It's hard to explain, but yes, I'm up to date with the kids of my age"

"Better even" Piper pitched as she swallowed a huge helping of dessert.

Aphrodite rolled her eyes." you start school next week, I'll see what I can do" she declared, looking very pleased with herself.

Now it was my turn to drop my spoon. I looked at her in pure shock. Was that even possible?

"Thank you, but my parents-"

"Now now" she waved her hand dismissively, "I'll pay, its the least I can do for my darling Athena"

"But how-"

"Don't underestimate the power of money dear" she smiled. She excused herself from the table and walked away, mumbling about how much work she would have to do. Drew followed her too.

"You don't think that's possible, right Pipes?" I asked, still shocked with the way the conversation turned out.

"Eh, mom can probably do it" she shrugged, "it's gonna be fun having you at school. You can do all my homework" she smiled.

I smiled back at her. We walked silently back to our rooms, with me still trying to wrap my head around the prospect of going to school.
I would love to....but

"Happy thoughts Annabeth" I chided myself. My pessimism was to going to bring me down today.

I wondered what Percy was doing. Should I call him?
Probably not.
He must be busy.

"High school" I mused to myself. It had always seemed like such a dream to me. I never dared to hope that I could actually go there.

I sighed, turning on my back. This bed was super comfortable. My hand played with my bead necklace.

Life was going swell.
I smiled to myself. I kinda kissed Percy. The memory alone was enough to make me blush.

"What was I thinking?" I asked myself as I plopped onto my bed. He must think I was weird.

I went through my mother's laptop for a while and finished some extra homework Chiron gave me. It turned out that the time isn't slow. It was soon midnight.

I heard my bedroom creak open. And I was sure Piper was going to come into my room to annoy me into sneaking out with her to a party or something. So imagine my surprise when I found Drew standing in my doorway, a wicked toothy grin playing on her purple painted lips.

"Drew?" I was confused. Why was she here? She had been ignoring me ever since I moved in. It was clear that she had no love for me. And I didn't wanna talk to her wanna be Kim Kardashian ass either.

'Annabeth!," she cooed, in a sickeningly sweet voice. Something felt off. She had a curling iron in her hand. "Remember that money you asked mommy for? To fix your little bookstore?''. she asked.

I nodded.

"Well....you see...I believe swine like you should stay where they belong, in the streets. Not dining with us," she sneered.

Anger coursed through me. Who did this little bitch think she was?

When I opened my mouth to tell her off, to yell or throw something at her, she silenced me with a wave of her hand.

''However", she said, slinking forward. She plugged the curling iron into a socket as she spoke, "I won't mind giving you the money...I am kind after all. If you, show me you're worth it''

"What do you mean?" I asked. This bitch was straight-up psycho.

She shrugged, "Show me that you can keep a secret. Or I will have you kicked out of my MANSION faster than you can blink".

I considered tackling her to the ground. I considered punching her. I considered murdering her and calling up Reyna or Clarisse and asking them to help me hide the body.

That's when my eyes fell upon a picture of Matt and Bobby, which Drew was looking at with utter disgust. Frustration burst in my chest. Fine...I would humour her, for their sakes at least.

"Just spit it out already", I said, glaring at the smirking figure.

She motioned me to come forward and pushed up the sleeve of my left arm. She examined the skin for a moment, with wicked gleaming eyes and in one swift motion brought the hot iron rod onto it.

Pain burst through my arm as the hot iron made contact with my skin. I screamed but Drew clamped my mouth shut with a haughty
laugh, "Sushhh little bitch, you need that money. Or I can take away everything your parents hold dear. After all, Mommy control's your dead mother's bank account. One which also belongs to your daddy".

I bit my cheek as hard as I could and felt the stingy taste of iron as the taste of blood spread in my mouth. The pain numbed for a fleeting second and then came back 10 fold.

Drew moved the iron from the spot near my wrist to another spot. The smell of burning skin engulfed my room.

The weight of Drew's threat ringed in my ears. I would not be the reason my dad didn't have the last bit of money he managed to hold onto. I would not be the reason that my stepbrother's had to be pulled out of school. And I would not give this bitch the pleasure of me showing any pain.

Swallowing my pride, I tolerated two other burns. Drew's cruel cackling was all I focused on. "I'm doing this for your own good," she laughed heartily.

When she left, it took every bit of strength I had in me to not collapse and crumble. I hauled myself to the sink and let the cold water run free on my stinging arm. The pain was unbearable. But I bore it for the sake of my pride.

————————————————————————-

Short chapter!
Sorry!
Been a little busy!!
But fun stuff's gonna happen soon!!

So do vote, comment and add this book to your library to not miss out any updates (cause they're super irregular sorry)

Also! If you're bored or gave up on life,

——— S