This was not going to end well for me

(Thursday evening)

(Thursday evening)

"Helen! Please, I just need enough to fix the leak in the roof" I begged my stepmother Helen. I never beg. I needed the money, I haven't made those many sales these past few months and I just needed a little bit right now to fix the roof, normally I make enough to take care of myself and the shop, but these days I put the shop before my need to get clothes.

Annabeth! You know your father and I are in a tight spot! Why do you keep pestering us?'' Helen asked, looking annoyed.

"This is the first time Ive asked you for money in months!! Why would I ask if it wasn't important"

I know my parents have been having some issues with money, ever since my dad lost his job. Especially taking care of the twins has been difficult, paying for their school etc
I hate myself for asking my stepmother for money at this point in time, but I had no choice.
I've been doing the best I can, since I was 13! Taking care of the shop all by myself. Heck ! I worked so hard I had to drop out of high school to take care of the shop full time. And before that, I was shipped off to a boarding school.

"Don't raise your voice at me" Helen said, raising her voice louder than I had. She sunk back in her chair, pressing her palm to her temple, as if deep in thought.

I rolled my eyes, "Alright, im sorry. But can I please just get a little money?''

Helen faced me, pursing her lips. "Alright" she said.

I blinked, did I hear her correctly?, "really?!"

Helen nodded her head, "but under one condition".

My face fell. A catch. There was always a catch.

"Your father and I have been talking".

Oh no I thought. I clutched my owl pendant tightly and waited for the verdict.. This was not going to end well for me

"We decided it would be best if you stay with your mother's aunt for a while, just until we get back on our feet" Helen said.

I felt numb. My father was kicking me out? After I worked so hard for him?! For the family?! For myself ?! I slaved over the bookshop myself for years without anyone to help me !
But I still gave my family 80% of my profits just to help them.

"What, why?!' I actually yelled out this time, "You guys don't spend anything on me anyway! I pay for my own food, clothing and shelter! And you are kicking me out?! This is absolutely-"

"Enough" my stepmom yelled, raising her hand up."In case you forgot, we still pay for your electricity, water, transportation and that adds up! I will not be disrespected in my own house!"

My eyes burned, with tears threatening to fall out. I wouldn't let them. This was absolutely unfair.

Helen's eyes softened for a second, "You'll still get to run the store. Your Aunt Aphrodite is rich, you should be happy she decided to take you in. She lives just an hour away, near your shop. She even has two daughter's your age, getting out will be good for you" she said. She motioned me to my room, "Now go pack your bags. You leave tommorow morning''

I sprinted towards my room and slammed the door shut. Sliding against the door, I clasped my mouth shut and cried.

We lived in a tiny apartment, sound travelled quickly here. And I was not about to give my parents any indication that I was crying. I noticed the picture of my mom on the wall and walked towards it.

Both of us were standing infront of a large house, It was where we used to stay before she died. My mother was extremely rich, but gave it up for a quiet life. She married my dad, had me and my brother Malcom and opened the bookstore. Everything was perfect. Until she died. ''If only you were here'', I whispered, looking at the photo.

I turned my back towards it and sighed. Time to start packing. YAAYY

I grabbed the two big suitcases from under my bed and packed. The normal stuff, clothes, toiletries, hair stuff , my Yankees cap and etc.

Once I was done, I changed into my pyjamas. While I was getting into bed, I heard a knock at the door. I sighed and went to open it, when I did I was tackled by two little boys.

"Bobbyy Mattt!! Let go of my legs" I laughed, falling down. The boys landed with me and crawled on me, giving me a hug.

"Mommy said your going away Annabeth" Bobby said as I got up. The 7 year olds looked at me with sad faces. I felt a familiar feeling take place in my chest, spreading to my throat. I looked at them for a minute and chocked up, not knowing what to say. I gave them both a tight hug. "Don't go sissy" Mathew whined as I let go.

"I have to go Matty. But I'll get presents when I come back" I said with fake optimism.

"But I want you to stayy" Mathew cried.

"Besides you always get us boring books" Bobby pouted.

I laughed. I had given them King Arthur last year, they never liked my gift selection since.

"This time...I'll get you....LEGOS"

I watched as Bobby and Mathew's faces perked up, and a small smile spread on their faces.

"The Batman one?'' Bobby asked, eyeing me suspiciously

I rolled my eyes and shrugged, "yes"

They both jumped onto my bed, giggling like possesed kids.

It honestly freaked me out how happy they were, condidering that they were sad a few minutes ago.

They suddenly stopped and whispered among themselves. I watched in confusion as their faces suddenly turned serious, as if they made an important desicion. With that, they turned to me.

"You are now our favorite sister" Bobby announced.

I placed my hands on my hips, "I'm your only sister''

Bobby looked shocked and turned back to Matthew, both whispering quickly.

"We mean, we like you more than Malcom" Matthew announced, looking pleased with his problem solving skill.

I smiled at the ridiculous goofs in front of me. My mother, Athena had my brother Malcom when she was 18. She had me 5 years later. Malcom, who is 22 moved out long ago. I didn't know him well. He was in a boarding school most of my life and left the country after my mother died. He did send me some money and an occasional postcard.

I gave a small curtsey,"Thankyou for bestowing this noble tittle on me brothers! I am forever in your debt"

Matthew puffed up his chest and stood tall, Bobby copied his twin's posistion. He faltered a second later, "what does bestow mean" he asked, turning to Mathew. Mathew seemed to be confused as well, "I think It's a type of beetroot"

I face palmed."Off to bed" I commanded. They groaned, but obliged, crawling into my bed. I followed suit.. Tomorrow was going to be a long day I thought as the boys cuddled up to me. I smiled and closed my eyes, praying yay everything was going to end up fine.