Chapter 1: The Calm Before the Storm

Aera watched from her bedroom window as the carriages lined up outside the castle, the line stretching to a point beyond her vision

Aera watched from her bedroom window as the carriages lined up outside the castle, the line stretching to a point beyond her vision. The guests are arriving.

The castle had been busy, servants bustling about to ensure that all the necessary preparations were made. Aera got to help out where she could, but for the most part, she was just excited to see her friends once again.

Aera's eyes widened as she caught sight of the familiar vine covered carriages, almost jumping out of her window. Jisung's here!

She had a bright smile on her face as she ran out of her room, putting her mask on before heading down to the ballroom. She was slipping through servants carrying trays of food. Aera almost bumped into one, clutching onto her knife attached to her belt as she narrowly missed them. She flashed them a big smile, hoping that they wouldn't be too mad, before running off.

"Whoa, easy there." Aera turned around to see a familiar male standing standing there, a bright smile on his face. She immediately recognized him, despite the mask on his face. Aera shook her head, continuing to head to the ballroom but now walking alongside Yangyang.

"Aren't you excited to see Shuyu again?" Aera asked. She smirked as she noticed how flustered he became at the mention of the girl's name. "How are the love letters going?"

"Hey, how did you find out about the letters?" Yangyang asked back, avoiding her questions.

"You're not sneaky, Yangyang." Aera said, rolling her eyes. "But let me know when she comes, I want to see her."

"Are you sure you won't be too busy with Jisung?"

At the mention of the male's name, Aera remembered the carriages outside the castle and gave Yangyang a look before rushing towards the ballroom.

When she arrived, she quickly slipped by her mother's side, as if she had been there all along. The Luminosa royal family stood at the end of the stairs, greeting their guests as they entered the ballroom.

Her mother noticed though, naturally placing an arm around her daughter's shoulders just as the doors opened, and the entrance of the people of Erde was announced.

"I see that my daughter is more excited to greet the people of Erde more than our own realm." The Queen whispered, just loud enough for her family to hear.

"It's okay, Taeyong's been here the entire time." Aera said, taking her mother's arm. "He's the one everyone cares about anyways."

"Aera," Taeyong warned but before he could continue, the ruler os Erde came down the steps, greeting the royal family of Luminosa.

Aera was starting to wonder if making the ball a masquerade ball was a good idea. She knew that she could recognize her close friends but would definitely get others mixed up, especially the adults.