Chapter 5

Athena expected to hear screams, groans, and more torture that morning when the sun woke her. However, she heard something far more… enlightening. There was laughing, people chattering, causing a low hum to fill the forests like a million bees. She rose from her sleeping position and studied the area; the camp had lots of movement both inside and outside. They were so foolish; assuming that they were safe just because it was light out, and there was no danger in their veiled sight. She was close, and she was dangerous. If she so desired, she could take them out one at a time. She could get through at least a dozen before anyone noticed.

                For nearly half of the day, she was studying them. They were rationing food, building shelter, keeping warm with fires. They were not as young as they looked, Athena decided. But they were still young; not one of them looked over twenty, some of them even looked as young as thirteen. Athena herself was twenty-three, young for someone of her position as trainer. The only one of the Sky People who looked older than twenty was Bellamy; perhaps he was their leader, as she was the Ice Clan.

                In her thoughts, she did not notice that Bellamy and the blonde had left the camp. The sun moved positions, hanging just above the tree tops now as it began to go back into hiding. When Athena peered periodically into the camp, she noticed that the children were behaving like fools. The idiots didn’t know a hallucinogenic nut from another, she concluded after a tedious amount of studying them. Chuckling, she realized that all of them were out of their minds; if there was ever a time to go in a get Lincoln, it was now.

                She didn’t dress like them, in fact, she stood out in many ways. The face paint she had on was the first, most obvious giveaway, and the other was the clothes on her back. She couldn’t even speak their language.

                But this was her only chance. From the looks of it, more of the kids were hallucinating than not. Three of them actually wandered out of the gates before a brunette brought them back in. Athena realized that she would need to get one of them out to take their clothing; she had to coax one of them out. With a plan in mind, she made her way to the nearest stream in order to wash off the face paint she had on. The cold, murky water gave her chills and made her cheeks feel numb, but when she was cleaned up she knew she looked younger and better able to fit in.

                Tucking her spear in a hollow of a close by tree, she kept only her hidden weapons to keep herself safe, and to possible free Lincoln from restraints. He was a strong man from what she could remember, and if these children were able to keep him there, he had to be tied up. Picking a part of the wall that was silent, Athena began to climb over the metal and wood walls. It rattled underneath her weight, and she glanced around to make sure that she had not called any attention to herself. Up there, she was extremely vulnerable.

                When she was convinced she had not been seen, she dropped down into the danger of the camp. She was in their territory now, and the only way to get out was to climb over top the wall again. If she was spotted and tried to escape, they would bring her down with ease. She would be a sitting duck. Making her way around the perimeter, avoiding voices and sounds of people, she pressed her ear to one of their bright orange tents. Athena had only seen orange in the colour of certain flowers, never in something so inorganic.

                Slipping in through the fabric, Athena noticed two people in the tent and instantly froze. She could off them if she wanted, and they wouldn’t even know what happened before they would bleed out, but she realized that they were asleep. Fidgeting in their sleep, but asleep nonetheless. Sighing in relief, seeing that these people were indeed children and probably most of them harmless, she dug through their stuff, trying to find clothing that would fit her.

                Athena was not a small woman; with broad shoulders and strong muscles over her entire body, she would be either too snug or too tall in all the clothes that she found. As she found a shirt that might fit her body, though tight on her arms, she decided that her pants would fit in even if her boots wouldn’t; she only needed to look the part for long enough, and these intruders were not in their right minds. She pulled her coat off and placed it at her feet, and then removed her shirt as well. Sliding into the dark blue shirt that she found, she realized that it smelled like dirt and something else she couldn’t put her finger on.

                When dressed, Athena tossed her clothing over the wall so that she could retrieve it later; the last thing she wanted was to be mistaken for a Sky Person and slaughtered by her own people. She wandered through the camp, slightly nervous, but confident that no one would point her out. These teenagers seemed as though they didn’t know one another very well; some sat by the fire, others were sorting food, one of them was running around with a tarp as a cape. Athena chuckled slightly; games were not something her people appreciated, though she had to laugh when she saw it.

                Composing herself, she cleared her throat and turned towards the giant metal dome; that was where Lincoln was being kept. She stepped in, feeling claustrophobic right away; this device was unnatural. Though like a cave she lived in upon the mountain, it was too inorganic and Athena did not trust being within. But she had a mission, and it was a mission she intended to complete.

                “You.” A voice, female, came behind Athena.

                She reached her hand down to her dagger at her hip.

                “You’re not one of us.” Her words were simple, and Athena understood them.

                “No.” Athena said, turning to face the girl; it was the one who had been bringing some of the other teenagers back into camp after they had drifted away. She was sober, that was clear enough. Her skin was tanned, her eyes were a familiar dark brown that Athena had seen upon Bellamy.

                “You’re here for Lincoln.” She stated, as if she somehow just knew it.

                “Yes.” Athena said, wondering why this woman was asking questions rather than trying to stop her.

                “I’m …. Him these.” She held up some clothes.

                Athena flinched when she moved her hands, but when she saw that she was trying to masquerade Lincoln out of the camp just as Athena had gotten in here, she saw that they were on the same level. Though opposing teams, Athena and this woman were not so different after all.

                “What ….. …. Name?” She asked.

                Athena narrowed her eyes, trying to figure out what she said.

                “Name?” The girl repeated. “I’m Octavia.”

                “Oh.” Athena realized, “Athena.”

                “The Goddess of War.”

                Athena smiled slightly, then nodded. “Lincoln.”

                Octavia nodded, and began to climb up the ladder, going higher and into more closed confides of the metal dome. It made Athena extremely uncomfortable, but she felt as though she could trust Octavia. She climbed up behind her, crawling through a small hatch before reaching the second level. Her eyes found Lincoln in the darkness instantly. She gaped at the sight of him; arms tied up, blood trickling down his body, dried blood on various parts of him. His head hung low and Athena realized that this was a trap.

                She grabbed Octavia when she was unsuspecting and placed the dagger against her throat. “You bring me here to kill me. Lincoln dead. Now you die.”

                Her scattered English was enough for Octavia to understand the gravity of the situation.

Linctavia is the best. 
Don't forget to vote and comment! I appreciate personal messages to, and will always reply.
Again, as for Bellamy and Athena, things will be more action-packed in the first season, with them head to head, not exactly seeing eye to eye. But season two is where it will be based more on them as a couple, or something.