Chapter 39

The gates seemed overly tall as Athena neared them, a lump in her throat but a confidence in her stride. No one was allowed to see her fear; animals could sense fear, and so could the right people. As long as she kept it hidden well enough, Lexa would not see the fear in her eyes. She would see a warrior ready to pay for her crimes, to take the punishment that was handed to her. Whatever it was, Athena knew that she could handle it. Death, banishment, humiliation; whatever it was.

                The guard stopped her at the gate, wondering why she was leaving; he was unsure if she was still considered a prisoner or not. The look in her eyes, dark and malicious, made him stand aside. Her lips were pressed together, showing nothing of how she felt. She was built like a statue, strong and sturdy, and she would die that way. Regardless of how she died, she would do it with pride. Her eyes glanced to the distant mountain upon which Aslan would be. She wondered if he would do anything if he knew about the deal, about the truce on the table. Would he suspect that she was part of the bargain? Would he care to stop it?

                Of course he would. Athena knew that Aslan would die for her, even though she would never ask that from him. She cleared her throat as the gates were opened just enough for her to slide out. Once she was out there, there was no guarantee that she would even make it to Lexa; all those hungry eyes, craving her death. Who knew if they would tear her limb from limb on her attempt to make it to Lexa’s tent. Her warriors were loyal, though, and they would not do anything without her okay.

                “Athena!” Bellamy shouted and Athena cringed; she had hoped to slip out without him noticing. His recent reunion with Octavia had given her a small door where he was paying more attention to his sister than Athena, but apparently that door had closed, and his eyes were on her back now.

                “Bellamy, go back.” Athena said without turning to look at him.

                He caught up to her quickly and grabbed her shoulder, spinning her so that she was facing him. “Clarke just told me that you and Finn are part of the peace treaty. Clarke will never give up Finn, so you leaving is just going to mean a pointless death!”

                “Bellam-“

                “No, Athena!” Bellamy cut her off, “This is suicide, is that what you want?!”

                “No, I-“

                “I don’t want excuses.” He shook his head, “I can’t let you go.”

                “Whatever happens, happens.” She repeated the words she had said earlier, words that he had agreed to.”

                “Not this.”

                Athena trembled with anger. “I am not a woman of many words, Bellamy, but they hold a lot of weight to me.”

                “I can’t let you go.”

                Athena was ready to throttle him. How dare he step in the way of her own decisions; it was hard enough to leave him without saying goodbye. She understood why he wanted to stop her, she probably would have done the same thing if Bellamy was about to throw himself into a pit of death. However, she also knew that he would only make the decision if he knew the outcome would be greater than if he had not done it. And that was the situation here, whether or not he could understand it right now. In time, he would.

                “I will hurt you.” Athena said, “I may be fond of you, but I will break your jaw.”

                Bellamy dropped his shoulders, “Fond?”

                “Yes.”

                “That’s it? You’re fond of me?” Bellamy shook his head, chuckled gently.

                “Don’t make me say it, not now.” Athena replied, quieter this time.

                “Might be your last chance to say it.”

                Athena wanted to say the words, that she loved Bellamy in some weird way. But she couldn’t. “Don’t get yourself killed, Bellamy.”

                Bellamy said nothing and Athena knew that this was her only chance to leave. The guards closed the gates behind her, creaky metal groaning as it closed. She thought she could hear Bellamy say something, but she tuned out as the growls from Lexa’s army tuned in. They started as murmurs, people still were unsure about how true it was that she turned treasonous. The fact that she was leaving the Sky People camp was a damn good sign, however. She ignored the harsh words, the death threats; if Lincoln was allowed to live, so was Athena. Though, Lincoln had never given the Sky People tips on how to fight the Grounders, but rather, how to flee from them. His crimes were lesser.

                She made it through the crowds, finding Lexa’s large tent and looking between the two guards who were posted just outside. They studied her, and Indra came out from the tent, her face disgusted at the sight of Athena. She patted her down, took her weapons, and then led her into Lexa’s tent. The tent was large, as Lexa’s always were; she liked her space, she liked to show that she was all powerful, and was granted more than anyone else. She did it in a subtle way, though, and didn’t show it in her leadership, which was good.

                Of all the people in the tent, though there were not many, there was one that caught Athena’s attention. She had noted Lexa, sharpening a blade in her throne-like chair, her black make up smeared over her face to reveal the war that was on the horizon, whether that was with the Sky People or the Mountain Men was still to be determined. She did not look like she was about to kill, but she had the same disgusted look on her face as Indra had. Athena remained sturdy in her gaze, but it was the other person in the room that made her feel weak from the inside out.

                Though Lexa was a fair person, and Athena was a skilled trainer that could not easily be replaced, Athena hadn’t thought about the people that she cared about. In a situation like this, death would have been easier. If Lexa decided to kill someone that Athena cared about, she knew that would strike her harder than her own death. Her eyes looked warily at Aslan, wondering if he were a prisoner, or perhaps a witness, ready to give his input on Athena’s treason. 

Alright, got up and wrote all of chapter 40. I cannot believe I've written 40 chapters already! There is still so much to go, and I hope this story will be as long or longer than Wounds :) Now, time to work out!