Chapter 14

“Bellamy!” Someone called before Athena had the chance; she wasn’t foolish enough to go yelling for Bellamy, not when she was the immediate enemy. She crouched down and watched as Octavia left the front gates, grabbing her brother’s hand. He yanked it away from her touch as if it were poison, though Athena couldn’t get a good look at his expression.

“What do you want?!” He yelled at her.

She didn’t cower. “I know you’re upset about what happened today… and with the Exodus ship… You cannot take this out on everyone around you. You can’t keep me trapped in here just because you don’t want me seeing Lincoln.”

“Lincoln?!” Bellamy shouted. “You still want to be near that…. That freak after the trap he led us into?”

Athena bared her teeth; it had been one of their people that had fired first. It had not been a trap, they had screwed up the whole thing. Sure, the truce was never truly on the table, but it had been civil until they had fired the first shots because they were scared of some archers in the trees. The brunette considered going back to her camp, taking up arms and getting this war through with. Why had she come here to Bellamy? It was obvious that whatever stance he had on Athena’s people had gone completely downhill since the bridge.

“You don’t know anything about Lincoln, and Bellamy, you don’t know anything about love.” Octavia turned and went back into the camp, though Athena suspected she was going to sneak out to be with Lincoln. He had taken an arrow for her, and though he was fully capable of tending to his own wounds, it would be best if she helped him. Mentally, Athena was rooting for Octavia.

Athena turned, ducking her head almost as if in defeat, and she began to trek back to her camp. Seeing Bellamy like that cleared her head; she knew that he hated them, her. The tall trees flashed on either side of her, into sight, out of sight, as she walked back. She felt completely foolish for coming there in the first place.

“Athena?” Bellamy’s voice was quiet.

Athena turned towards his voice and walked right up to him; his gun was strewn over his back, out of use without some effort. She pushed him to a tree and held him by his neck with for strong forearm. “Why did you fire?!” Athena had been brushing up on her English over the last few days, having Aslan help her where he could, and others of the Wood Clan as well.

“Jasper!” Bellamy gasped, his voice mostly a wheeze. “Goddamnit, Athena, I didn’t!”

“One of yours shot me in the leg.” Athena released him, “Three of our best archers are dead.”

“You got shot?” He asked, eyes widening.

“Thanks to the woman you were with.” Athena growled, then shook her head; that was not why she came here.

“I’m sorry.” He said, “Can you just hear me out?”

She blinked, but said nothing. Instead, she dropped her defensive stance.

“Thank you.” Bellamy sighed, looking stressed. “We went in as back up, just as you did. Jasper, the one who first started the firing, he thought he saw movement in the trees, he thought they were going to kill Clarke.”

“Why did he think that?”

“He was attacked by your people on the first day we got here, barely pulled through.” He explained, “Some sort of post-traumatic stress disorder. Anyways, once he fired the first shot, I had to assist; your people started attacking and my sister was in danger.”

“Listen to me, Bellamy, you have to get your people and leave.” She said suddenly; the option had been in the back of her mind the entire walk here, but now she knew that it had to be done. “The ship, the one that hit the mountain?”

“The exodus ship… Clarke’s mom was on there.”

Athena didn’t acknowledge the sentimentalities. “My guess is that Anya will think all your reinforcements died in that crash; she will come down on you soon, and hard.”

“So tell me how to defeat her.”

Athena tightened her lips. “Leave.”

“No, this is where we live now.”

“Then this is where you will die.”

“Will you stop being so damn stubborn?!” He shouted.

She looked at him; he was taller than her, but only by a few inches. He had creases on the outsides of his brown eyes, almost like laugh lines, but Athena knew that they were from stress. She knew nothing of his life before coming here, and very little now that he was here. Whether she wanted to know more or not, she wasn’t sure. Of course she was curious, but curiousity was a dangerous emotion to dance with.

“We have you outnumbered three to one, Bellamy. We are trained warriors, you are teenagers with a death wish.” She told him, breaking the hard truth to him. “I don’t want to see you dead.”

“You care…” He realized.

She sighed, “Call it what you want.”

Bellamy smiled, “Your English is better.”

Athena parted her lips, a slight gasp slipping from her lips. “You can’t ignore this, Bellamy.”

“I know how to fight my battles.”

“You do not know how to pick them.” Athena stepped closer to him, feeling the warmth radiating off of his body. There was a look in his eyes, dangerous, playful, flirty. She lowered her eyes, submissive for the first time in a long time. Bellamy brought his hand up to her chin and lifted her head so that her eyes met with his. Both of them had eyes as dark as the night, pupils dilated. For once, Athena lowered her defenses mentally, shutting down all thoughts of war and possibly having to kill Bellamy in less than a fortnight. Her eyes remained open, and Bellamy leaned in, his lips brushing over hers.

It tickled, but Athena didn’t move away, she was entranced by him. When his lips did press against hers, she responded, though slowly. Her hand pressed against his chest, as if to push him away, but she didn’t want him to move. It felt amazing and horrible at the same time; the newness and the excitement of kissing someone who was the enemy left a sweet taste on her tongue. The fear of someone discovering what she had done, the fear of Aslan learning of her treachery. It all burned within her, like hot and cold swirling and creating a tornado in her chest. She gasped, pulling away from Bellamy when it became too much to bear.

“Is there anything you can do to stop this?” Bellamy asked, his voice quiet now.

Athena could still feel his lips on hers. She glanced down at the hollow of his neck. “I will try, but my influence has reached as far as it can, and has done nothing so far.”

He nodded, pressing his lips to hers again, quickly this time.

“Better watch it.” Athena said, “If your sister spotted you kissing a ‘Grounder’ she might call you a…uhm…”

“A hypocrite. I know.” He half laughed.

“I must go, and if I see you again, I do hope it is not with a spear in my hand.” Athena wanted to stay, she wanted to feel Bellamy’s skin on hers, she wanted that so badly, but she couldn’t.

“If Anya attacks… when…?”

“Dawn. Tomorrow.” Athena knew Anya would move fast.

“I promise I won’t shoot you.” Bellamy said, though Athena could hear the distaste in his tone. Even though they had grown closer, even though they saw eye to eye, nothing would change who they were.

Please don't forget to vote and comment :) I will continue to dedicate to those who comment or message xo