Chapter 21

Athena looked around the tent where Bellamy resided. Guns were leaned up against the sides of the thick tarp, blankets were strewn across the ground. She glanced around at what they considered their home, taking it all in. When she turned to look at Bellamy as he followed her in, she caught a look in his eyes that she had not expected. The minute the tarp fell, shielding them from the eyes of the others, he stepped up to her and placed his hands on her cheeks, bringing his lips to hers.

                At first, she was so startled that she pushed back, stepping away and almost tripping over the mess on the ground. “What are you doing?!” She hissed.

                “I’m sorry, I couldn’t show the others how I felt about you, I needed to show them that I was the leader, the strong one, the one who doesn’t have weakness. If they’d seen I’d gone soft, they wouldn’t fight with me.”

                “Fight my people, you mean.”

                “It’s inevitable, Athena. Otherwise you would not be here.”

                She knew that he was right. “I can’t fight them for you, Bellamy.”

                He nodded, then ran his hands through his hair. “I know, I don’t expect you to. I just…. I need help. We’re going in blind.”

                “You should go East, to the sea.” She explained, “Lincoln suggested this to Octavia, it is a smart plan.”

                “We’re not running.” Bellamy’s tone darkened. He shook his head, “We belong here as much as you do.”

                Athena scoffed, thinking about what she had said earlier to Octavia about not belonging anywhere right now. She stepped towards Bellamy and pressed her hand to his chest. Feeling his heartbeat under her finger tips made her shiver; if they had not blown the bridge the other day, he might have been killed, and she would never feel his heart beat, his breath, his kisses, again. It caused a sickening feeling in her gut, like someone twisting a knife. His hands clutched her shoulders, as if he were trying to hold her there, position her properly. No matter what he did, she wouldn’t fit in with these people, nor the Wood Clan, and she wondered how she would fit in the Ice Clan now… Now that she had changed.

                “If you are staying put, you have to sturdy your walls, place sentries in high locations, perhaps make those bombs smaller?”

                “Mines… Athena, you’re brilliant.”

                Athena knew about land mines; they were a cruel form of warfare, but it was a smart move. She imagined Aslan losing a limb on a mine, as so many did trying to reach the City of Light, and shook it from her head. The image stained her mind, though, and thoughts of Gendry and Colden returned. She gasped, pressing her head to Bellamy’s strong chest, her breath heaving slightly. When she regained herself, only seconds later, Bellamy looked stunned. “Are you okay?”

                “I lost two men because of the bomb.”

                “I’m sorry… I…”

                “You told me not to fight, but I couldn’t listen to you.” She sighed, “I put my soldiers at risk knowingly.”

                “We both did. And my soldiers aren’t soldiers. They are kids.”

                “We’re not so different, Anya’s own second was no older than fifteen.”

                “Was?”

                “She didn’t look in good shape when I left.” Athena explained, “That is why she took Clarke. She is a healer, yes?”

                “She has some medical experience, her mother is… was a doctor.”

                “I hope it is enough to keep Tris alive, Anya won’t react well if she dies.”

                Bellamy touched her scar and she winced slightly, but didn’t pull back; somehow his touch made it feel better, like the pain was somewhere far away like a distant memory. Though a smile didn’t reach her lips, the woman leaned into Bellamy, closing her eyes, wishing that everything that was happening was just that; a distant memory. She knew it was foolish to get such thoughts in her head, but with Bellamy’s hands on her, it seemed possible if only for a moment’s time.

                “I did this to you.” He referred to the scar.

                “Bellamy, what happened happened. It’s done. I hold no grudge.” She decided it was time to break the news to him. “I can’t fight with you, but I will give you the knowledge you need if you decide to fight. I still think you should run, but if I were in your position, I would fight.”

                “You are in my position.” Bellamy argued.

                “No.” That was all she said before she lifted her gaze to his and then followed through with her lips. Somehow, with Bellamy, it was easier to look at him than to talk to him. As he kissed back, his lips tasted like sweat and blood, but it was familiar to Athena. Her tongue pressed against his, the muscles in her jaw and cheeks flexing as the kiss became more heated. Bellamy’s hands slid around her gently, avoiding her wound on her side; she had bled through the gauze and would need to change it soon, but that was not her first priority.

                Bellamy lowered her to the bed on the ground, the sheets tangling between their legs. Bellamy’s hands slid up what remained of her shirt, sliding it off of her body with some effort. His lips trailed over her collar bone and moved between her breasts. Due to the wounds on her body, Athena allowed Bellamy to take control this time, removing their clothing, kissing her flesh, his tongue trailing over all her sensitive body parts.

                As he slid inside of her, their bodies merging into one, she arched her back, the pain tingling away into the distance. She reached her hands around his body, caressing his slick skin, feeling the muscles flexing in his back. Everything between them, every trouble they had, disappeared as they connected. His lips found hers again, their bodies pressed against each other, slick with sweat. Lust filled her, passion ignited her, and pleasure consumed her. 

The new style of Wattpad on the website is absolute garbage! I have to post my chapter, then go to my works, then go to the chapter I just posted, then edit the chapter I just posted all to apply a dedication. So frustrating. Such an ugly new set up. I hate it.