Chapter 17

Athena looked at the men and women she had brought down; satisfied with them, but wishing she didn’t need to send them blind into battle. Mikah, the strongest of the clan, taking on mountain lions with his bare hands. Gendry, small and swift, ready to outwit the other side. Salvatore, brute strength and no fear of death. Lucifer was as malicious as his name. Colden, brother to Cleopatra; both of them true fighters, bold, courageous and willing to prevent maximum casualties. Acacius was a man of honour, and would die for his fellow fighters. Eire, her shot with a bow never missed. Leia had the swiftness of a fox, and the cunningness too; mates with Gendry. Kira was the youngest, at age fifteen, but she had the bravery of a lion, and the eyes of an eagle. She could spot a sentry hidden in the forest with ease.

                And there was Aslan. The perfect combination of all her warriors together, somehow blended into his perfect body.

                Her team, though small, was a brute force that could wipe out four times the amount of their own. That was not what she wanted them for though, not anymore. She wanted each of them to live another day, to put their minds at ease, to go back to the mountain. That was too much to ask from them, however, as sometimes facing the war was easier than turning your back from it.

                “We are the vanguard in tomorrow’s battle.” She said, glancing at their reactions.

                Mikah grinned, Eire rubbed her hands together. Colden nudged Cleopatra. Aslan kept his eyes trained on her, showing utmost respect. The others continued to listen, wanting to hear every last detail of her plan.

                “I do believe they have a plan, a plan to stop us. Whether it will work, we will have to wait and see. Never before have we turned away from battle at the hunch of causalities, which there will be. I will put my warriors before my own safety, as I always do, but I wish I could tell you more about what they have planned. Sadly, this is all I have to offer you.” She sighed, “On another note, I was minimum casualties of the Sky People. They have technology that is far superior to ours, and I have heard that their healing skills are tremendously better than our own. Anya’s warriors will not stop and think about this, which is why I have agreed to forming the vanguard. Taking hostages will not be easy, but I have a feeling some of the Sky People will turn in easily, not wanting to die at the ripe age of seventeen.”

                “How do you know all this?” Lucifer asked.

                “With some insight as I have bonded with one of the women who helped free Lincoln, and Lincoln himself.”

                “The traitor.” Eire scowled.

                “No,” Athena shook her head, “He is making the conscious decision to see these people for what they are; people. I wish I could do the same, but we are twelve, and Anya’s is three hundred. Lincoln is not of our clan, and so he has not turned traitor against us. It is up to the Wood Clan to make that call.”

                She left it at that, aside from telling her trustworthy warriors to rest well, and decided to try for the same thing. Sleep evaded her with ease these last few nights, though usually she slept like a baby on the eve of war. As Aslan entered the tent, Athena rolled onto her side to avoid looking at him. Steadying her breath, she acted as though she were asleep. But he saw right through her as he lied down next to her, both hands tucked underneath his head.

                “You did well today.” He said.

                She fucked Bellamy today. “Mhm.”

                “I know you do not want this war.”

                She remained silent as her voice could give something away.

                “And you rose to the occasion, trying to keep things as tame as they can be during war.” He carried on, “You are more of a leader than you think you are.”

                “Thank you.” She said, almost dryly.

                “I know you are withholding something, and I trust your judgement to hold it from the others and even me, until after the war. I do hope, however, that it is not altering your judgement to make these calls tomorrow.”

                Athena flinched, “I am withholding nothing.”

                Aslan chuckled wryly, “Rest well, Athena.”

                Athena couldn’t get it off her chest as Aslan’s breathing slowed, telling her that he had fallen asleep. She restlessly turned over onto her back, looking up at the blackness that surrounded her. A low hum of critters and creatures in the woods found its way through the fabric of the tent, edging into her thoughts, drawing them out. She closed her eyes, and the first thought that came to her was of her lips against Bellamy’s, her hands on his chest, his eyes caressing her skin.

                It was not the same as when she was with Aslan. Though it wasn’t as if being with Aslan was a chore, but it was something she had gotten accustomed to, something she was too familiar with. Bellamy was so new, so unique, and had so much to offer in different areas than Aslan. She thought about what he had said, about not fighting on the morrow, and it scared her. Rarely did she find herself truly scared, but the look Bellamy had given her made her imagine the worst. He was going to do anything he could to keep his people, those kids who looked up to him, alive and safe. That meant killing Athena if he had to.

                She wondered, if the situation presented itself, could she bring herself to kill him?

                No, she thought, she could not. Regardless of the circumstance, Athena could not see herself killing Bellamy. Envisioning herself at the front of the vanguard, Bellamy at the head of his, she would be taken down before she could end his life. There was life in his eyes, a spark in his and Octavia’s eyes that Athena saw; they had so much potential. They were powerful, and they would prevail.

                She hoped. 

I know some people wanted or expected the bridge scene, but that will come, don't you worry! Please vote and comment!