Chapter 34

That evening Athena was released, but Lucifer was kept under lock and key because they did not trust his ability to not attack anyone. Athena had shown restraint throughout the imprisonment, and she had given them information that was now backed by Clarke herself. There was trust between them, a small flame, but growing steadily. Athena didn’t stray far from Lucifer’s cell, as she did not know where to go. This camp was foreign to her and most of the inhabitants wanted her dead for the various deaths that had occurred before and after they arrived. 

She did wander down to where she was told Raven was; just to check on her. She was resting, finally looking peaceful. Athena had respect for the woman, and knew that she had been through a lot in the last few days and weeks here on Earth. Earth itself was not easy to survive, and even harder so when there was an entire army trying to kill you.

“It’s time to head out.” Clarke said, walking up to Athena. 

Athena turned and saw Clarke; she had cleaned up, but was still bruised and cut. Those wounds would heal in no time at all, but Athena was no stranger to the internal wounds that came with war, fighting, killing, and death. She could see that Clarke had not fully adjusted to living with the heavy weight that came with those things, though Athena knew she was adapting as quickly as possible.

Athena and Clarke went to Lucifer, so she could give him his task. However, she was unsure of if he would actually do it. Of all her warriors, Lucifer was one of the ones who might turn his back on others. In reality, he was hardly any different from Athena herself. If he turned her in, told her treason to Lexa, she would deal with that when the time came. She didn’t fear consequences. 

“Tell Lexa the Sky People wish for an alliance.” Athena commanded, “Together, we can eradicate the Earth of the Mountain Men, and we can have peace with the Sky People.”

“Anything else?” Lucifer asked; he was going with Kane and a few others that Athena had not met. She worried that they might try to kill Lucifer, but he could handle more than five men at a time. 

“If you tell her what you think of me, whatever that may be, I will understand.”

He nodded, leaving Athena to wonder what he was planning to say or to do. That curiousity stayed on the tip of her tongue, like an aftertaste of something vile. Her own warrior, one of the few left alive. She wished it had been Aslan that was going in, she could trust him with her life and then some. Lucifer though, he was truly the devil when he wanted to be.

Athena was given back her spear and a few daggers, and she and Clarke slipped out of the camp quickly. It was late in the night by then, inching towards the wee hours, but it was the safest time to begin their trek; they couldn’t simply wait until morning before searching for the people they cared about. The sooner they found them, the less likely it was that people would be dead, on either side. 

“That boy, Finn?” Athena asked.

“What about him?” Clarke replied. They had been walking for over an hour, and no words had been exchanged until then. It was dark, but it was a cloudless evening.  

“He cares about you.” Athena saw how Finn felt about Clarke. She would have been blind to it only a few days ago, but she had seen the same look in his eyes when he discovered Clarke was not at the drop ship as she did when she left Aslan. That look of despair, of not understanding, and of want. 

“I know.” Clarke said, “But I can’t let things like that get into my head anymore.”

“No, you cannot.” Athena agreed; she had become weak with Bellamy, and she was feeling stronger already without him, and yet she still felt a desperate need to find him, to see him safe, to be with him. It was a contrast from how she usually felt, cold and disconnected from people, and the newness of it felt like a warm drink on a frosty day; perfect.

“The Mountain Men, they control the Reapers?”

“They create them.” Athena said through gritted teeth. She shifted her jacket over her shoulders, as if it were the chill of the night that were causing the tingling sensation up her spine and not the memories of her parents. “They take us, they drug us, and then they turn us into those monsters.”

“Do you think your commander will consider this deal?”

“She may ask for some things in return, things you may not want to give up, but yes. She is smart, she makes decisions on what is best for her people.”

“Things? What things?”

“She may ask for my head.” Athena said, “And you will present her with it.”

“I won’t do that.” Clarke shook her head.

“Then you are not ready for a deal.” Athena concluded, and they fell into a silence again. Both Athena and Clarke were going over what Lexa might want in return for giving up her army, sending in her best men and women to what could easily be a slaughter. Clarke knew they had information and technology that would make fighting the Mountain Men easier, but they did not have the manpower to break through their doors without being slaughtered by Reapers and any other defence mechanism that they had.

They took a short rest, Athena watched over Clarke while she slept, not feeling the urge to sleep as she had plenty of rest while she was locked up. She glanced up at the stars, breathed in the crisp air, feeling it fill every inch of her lungs. It tasted sweet, freedom. She glanced down at Clarke, who was resting, but not peacefully. How she came to be here, Athena could hardly believe it. However, her decisions sat right with her. She knew she had made the right choices, regardless of how it would turn out with Lexa. 

Gun fire brought Athena to her feet, spear tight in her grasp, ready to attack. It triggered in her mind that the only people with guns out here were Bellamy, Finn and Murphy. Clarke was up and ready in a split second, and they headed towards the sound. The screams filled the air then, as they got closer and closer. Athena’s heart was pounding as they were headed right into a village. She began to shake her head, already predicting what had happened. It didn’t sit right with her.

They stumbled into the village, and Athena saw the bodies before she saw anything else. Everything around her closed in, a darkness filled her vision as she saw old and young, dead and still freshly bleeding from the wounds in their chest. Athena looked up at Finn, who was holding the gun.

“I found you.” He said to Clarke, who was still as a stone.

Athena didn’t hesitate then; she went straight for Finn with the intent to kill. 

I'm getting super busy at work, and I'm having a hard time writing without watching the show, but I don't have time to watch the show. I tried to use The 100 Wiki but after the third episode there were no more episode walkthroughs. I'm hoping this weekend I can figure it out, cause I hardly remember the next series of events.