Chapter 50

The doors opened and it seemed foreign to Athena; the bright lights blinded her for a moment, and she glanced down at the dirt below her knees for a moment. Her brown eyes glazed over Bellamy as he began to breathe faster. As it was his plan, a lot of the weight was on his shoulders, but Athena wouldn't blame him if it fell through. She would likely be dead if it fell through, so it didn't matter in the end.

Two guards went to the Reapers, and Lincoln who was posed as one, with the small guns that contained the drug that made them what they were. Athena glanced through her peripheral vision and spotted them injecting it into the first reaper. Two people in hazmat suits stood beside a woman, also in a suit, with a board in front of her. She was marking things down on them, studying the Grounders in front of her. Her gifts from the Reapers like rats from a cat.

Bellamy looked at Lincoln, and Athena was looking at Bellamy. It was clear that they should not have been showing that much interest among each other, but so much was balancing on Lincoln now, that it was almost impossible not to glance at him, waiting for him to do something. Once the Reapers got their drug, they were mostly immobile with pleasure for a while, and he would have more of an advantage without having to kill them as well. As the female walked down, she was listing where each Grounder should go.

"Blood." She nodded at the smallest man at the end. He was shaking.

"Cerberus." She nodded towards the next.

She made it to Bellamy, and frowned. "Blood this one."

Her eyes scanned Athena, "A female?"

"Yes." The guard injecting the Reapers said, "Don't we usually blood them?"

"Mhmm." She glanced at her clipboard, and then back at Athena, who was grimacing at her. "We have enough for blooding, I want this one for something else."

"What for?" The guard asked, stopping at Lincoln, who was stone still. Athena looked at him, fire burning in her eyes. He wasn't moving and they were distracted; now was his chance to kill them so that they could carry on the plan. He refused to make eye contact with her or Bellamy, who was shaking his head at him. The guard turned and injected the drug into Lincoln's neck, and he gasped in what looked like pleasure and pain, agony and bliss.

Athena hissed in his direction, a feral sound rumbling through her. She had officially lost respect for him, but in a place like this, where she was tied up and someone was deciding her fate, respect meant nothing. What was done was done, and she could not change what had happened. She could only use it. The woman studied her as she grimaced at Lincoln.

"She's not from here." She said, "I want to try her blood and marrow, but under... different circumstances than the regular procedure."

"Cage won't want you trying that again."

"Cage can tell me if he isn't okay with it. He can have his Cerberus, I want this one."

Athena did not like them talking about her, but she was still tied up. She wriggled the dagger out of her sleeve and had already begun hacking away at the twine that bound her. The rope that Lincoln had used was weak to begin with, and it snapped quickly. Athena gripped the dagger tighter and then shook the twine from her wrists. When the man in the hazmat suit came close, she stood up, her quadriceps and hamstrings flexing and tightening as she lunged at him, slicing open the suit. Blood stained the light blue colour of the suit, and his face began to blister inside the suit.

"Get him inside!" The woman yelled, "And do not kill her!"

Athena was tazed, an electric shock that she had never felt before rippling through all of her previously tight muscles. She seized and fell to the ground, her weapon clattering to the ground and the last thing she saw before her vision went temporarily was Bellamy wrestling against his bounds, falling to his shoulders as he was kicked down for moving too much; they couldn't risk another one breaking free and trying something like Athena had.

He was going to die fighting for her, he was going to spoil the plan that was rapidly going downhill. She shook her head, even though she could not see. She could hear him groaning in pain, a shriek coming from the other side of her. Feet shuffled, and soon she was lifted, the tazer still rippling through her at three second intervals. Enough to keep her stunned, but not enough to stop her heart. She writhed with each jolt of electricity, but suppressed any moans. Anything that wasn't involuntary, she was working hard to control.

The thing that scared her most was not that she was being exposed to an entirely new form of pain, or that there was surely torture both mental and physical coming her way, but the fact that she didn't know where Bellamy was. He had been listed as one to be blooded, but Athena knew little of what that meant. Surely death; if not a Reaper, it was death at some point. Lincoln was out of the question now, so Athena had to only focus on the now. She was lied on a table, and fastened tightly into straps around her arms and feet. The female stood over her, the one who was labelling each new prisoner, and she had a focused look in her eyes.

Athena growled at her in her native tongue, teeth grinding together as her neurons and nerves fired the awareness of pain. "Do what you want to me, it will come back tenfold."

"Should we sedate her Dr. Tsing?" A younger man asked, his hair slightly reddish under the bright orange lights.

"No, this one has fire in her." Dr. Tsing replied. She pulled out a small device and pressed a button; it light up, making a whirring noise. She pointed it at herself, "This is Dr. Tsing, it is twenty-one hundred hours, and this is the first take on a new project."

She propped the device, which Athena saw was recording her, something Bellamy had shown her, at the foot of the gurney Athena was on. Dr. Tsing angled it so that it would get Athena, as well as herself when she was to the side. "Subject is female, mid-twenties, and physically fit."

"You will burn for this." Athena hissed in English, "You are weak."

"I'm not the one tied down, about to be experimented on."

"You are the coward." Athena growled.

"Fortune does not favour the brave."

"For now." Athena shut her brown eyes, awaiting what horrors were to come her way.

Day off, it is 17 degrees, and I'm going on a hike with Ryan and then having a picnic :) Because I really need my vitamin D!