Chapter 7

Whether she was going back to Lexa or to Aslan, Athena wasn’t entirely sure. Aslan was not far, she was aware, but she was worried about going back to him a second time empty handed. Lincoln was freed, yes, but she was bringing back a heavy burden. She presumed Lincoln was one of the only people to think that the Sky People should be left alone, but if he could convince one person, the chain would spread and there could be a war between her own people.

                Life was not this complex up on the mountain, and Athena was missing it dearly. The humid air made her feel sticky, unclean, and slow. She was out of her realm, and it was obvious. Running her hands through her dark brown hair, she heard voices; soft, playful, gentle. A grimace crossed her lips; Sky People. As she ducked behind a thick Pine tree for shelter, she peered out to see where the voices were coming from. Though it was dark, Athena could see the blonde that she had been so entranced by before; the light hair being the only thing she could see well enough.

                Beside her was another, but Athena could not see who it was, so she darted closer, following them silently. Not a twig nor leaf crunched under her footfalls, a skill every one born and raised on Earth had developed quickly. Silence was the key to hunting, whether that be animals or humans, and Athena had years of practise. The two she was tailing had no idea she was there, and they were not being silent at all; they thought that Athena and her people were the only threats, but they were despicably wrong.

                “I’m glad you decided to come back, Bellamy.” The blonde said; Athena was close enough to hear them but she did not understand them. All she grasped was that Bellamy was there, and she felt tense.

                “I may still have to split.” He replied. While Athena didn’t understand his words, she could hear a solemn tone to his voice. He was carrying something, something dark and ominous. She studied it, wondering what it could be; weapons, food, water, survival gear? It could be anything, and regardless of what it was, she did not want them to reinforce their chances of surviving the war that would come down on them.

                Bellamy spoke again, handing the black bag to the blonde, and pointing towards the direction of the camp. “I’ll meet you in a bit. I just need to think a bit before… before I see Jaha.”

                “Alright.” The blonde headed off in the direction of the camp, which was quite close by now.

                Athena was alone in the dark with Bellamy now, and she wondered if she should finish him off; he posed as a leader, he was older than the rest of them, taking him out could break them apart, bring them down. It would soften their defences, cause panic and chaos. She grinned at the idea, pulling out her dagger from her hip; an arrow would have done the trick just fine, but she was not an archer. This had to be more personal.

                With her hand pressed to the thick, rough bark of the tree trunk, she leaned around it. Bellamy was looking up at the dark night sky, completely unaware that Athena was there. She grinned, this was perfect. She would bring him down, bring the dagger to his throat, and end his life. After seeing how Lincoln looked when he was freed, she couldn’t believe that these people were simply kids; they knew how to keep him alive while wishing he was dead. She thought about Lincoln for a moment; even after all that, he still wanted there to be peace.

                He was a fool.

                Before Athena could carry out Bellamy’s death, she heard the foot steps behind her, the growls that only mean one thing; Reapers. Her breath hitched in her throat and for one devastating moment, she was reminded of her parents. Though she had little connection with them, they had been taken by Reapers, never to be seen again. She couldn’t go like that; whisked away from the face of the Earth, brought to the darkness of a mysterious mountain. No one would know where she was, what happened to her, and no one would be able to save her.

                She turned, the dagger already in her hand. Assessing the situation, she saw that there were three Reapers and only one of her. Even if she managed to take some of them out, they were stronger than her. Mutants would be the only way to describe them, freaks of nature that craved only one thing; their drug. Athena knew enough about them to know that they would rip her limb from limb just to get a dose of the stuff.

                She miscalculated; there was another one lurking in the woods that she did not see. She reached out with her dagger, making sure that her footing was secure. She sliced the arm of one of the Reapers, then threw the dagger at another. He deflected it and it fell to the ground. Athena reached over her head for the spear on her back, but her hand was grabbed by the other Reaper she had not seen. His slimy grip held her wrist, and then twisted her arm into a disgusting angle. She screamed in pain, hoping that Aslan would hear her, but she was too far away. It would be impossible to grab her horn.

                She was pushed to the ground, her face in the dirt as she tried to get out; she had fought more than four people at once, and made it through. But she had always been prepared; she was going to die before she let them take her, though. Feeling a boney knee in her spine, she growled. Writhing, she knocked the Reaper off of her back, rolling onto her back to look at her attackers. These creatures had once been like her; it sickened her. She kicked her foot up and hit one of the Reapers in the solar plexus, he stumbled back but came at her again and again.

                It was useless.

                A loud bang startled Athena as well as the Reapers; another bang sounded and Athena was covered in blood. She shut her eyes and mouth as the thick, red liquid splattered her. The Reaper above her collapsed and fell beside her; they all went down within ten seconds. After the loud bangs, silence and smoke filled their air; a smell reached Athena that she had never smelled before. She sat up, wiping the blood from her eyes and face, her eyes landing on Bellamy. He held a black weapon, smoke emitting from it. His eyes looked dark as he stared at her.

                Athena looked at him with a defensive grimace on her lips; was he going to kill her too, or had he just saved her?

My computer is being a dickhead and is all virusy, so if I disappear for a while, that is why. I'm hoping to get it fixed today, however. Either way, I can access Wattpad through my phone, but I cannot post on my phone as all my writing is on my laptop.