Chapter 25

By the time the sky had darkened, enough that it would be midnight before she even reached the base of the mountain, Athena finally rose. The Sky People had been gone for only a quarter of an hour, at the most, and the pain was already beginning to fade. Breathing through gritted teeth, Athena placed her hand on her hip, and it pulled away slightly sticky and wet with blood. The shirt she had been wearing was black, and so it wasn’t very obvious to any possible onlookers, but in the way she sauntered to grab her weapons just outside the camp walls showed that she was hurt.

Using her spear as its secondary use, a cane, she made her way around the perimeter of the camp. In the back of her mind she knew that she could have holed up in the top of the drop ship and rested, as the camp would probably go unsearched by the army if no one was there to begin with, but staying there any longer would make it harder. The sooner she got away from all this, put it behind her, the better.

The screams reached her ears before she saw the hoard of Sky People darting back in her direction. Upon realizing that they had left too late, Athena knew that she couldn’t leave them now. Blending with the crowd, she rushed back into the safety of the makeshift walls, though they were beginning to feel a lot less safe as she noticed some of the hot blood on Clarke’s clothing. She did a quick scan and saw everyone she knew by name still alive, and while she hoped no one had died, she knew it was foolish to believe in such miracles.

“Bellamy!” She shouted, holding her spear as a weapon as to avoid revealing her weakened state.

The brunette turned to face Athena, his eyes wide and his mouth opened just slightly. He looked shocked, but she could see that he was going to take advantage of the fear that everyone was feeling in the midst of losing people, and they were going to fight for their lives. “You’re still here?” He asked her quickly, dashing to her side as everyone else picked up their weapons, people still screaming and yelling.

“That is of no importance.” She shook her head, “They are here? Already?”

                “It was a scout, they will be here soon.” He called out to the rest of the group, trying to get them settled in and ready.

                Athena realized now that leaving was the easier choice, fighting her own people, seeing Aslan on the other side was going to be harder than anything she had ever experienced before. A shudder ran down her spine as she looked down at the spear in her hands. She needed more weaponry if she was going to fight from the inside of these walls, but she had very little. Her spear, a few throwing daggers and a long blade. Though her Morningstar would have been the best weapon for close combat, she was too wounded to put enough strength behind it to finish the kill. Her spear was easier, and she had just as much skill with it.

                “I have to be outside the wall.” Athena told Bellamy.

                “We can still make it!” Octavia was shouting at Clarke, and both Athena and Bellamy turned their attention to the two women. “Lincoln said the scouts would arrive first, if it is just one scout, we can still make it.”

                Bellamy walked up, looking to Clarke who was standing at the top of the wall, looking for others. “What’s it gonna be, Princess? Cause I’m looking to you.”