Chapter 57

The man trembled underneath Athena's tight grip. She pushed him down to his knees and then placed her own knee against his spine to hold him in a crouched, folded position. If he tried to dart, he would crumpled under her weight. If he tried to roll, she could bring her knee to his nose in a split second. She knew how to trap someone, even if they were larger and stronger than her. This man was not, he was rather petite, but then again Athena was used to people like Aslan. Aslan and Athena had fought like bears when she was training, and she learned how to take him down.

Athena looked around for Lexa, or another member of Mount Weather to give her own negotiation suggestions to. Before she could even glance all the way around her, the gunfire stopped and the similar crackle of a two-way radio echoed in her ears. At first she thought it was hers, the one Bellamy was going to contact her on, but she had given it to Raven when she heard that the fog had been turned off.

"We are releasing the prisoners, but not the forty-eight." The voice spoke, "Lay down your weapons and report back to level five. Be alert, not all of them will be backing off."

"No." Athena hissed, a growl coming from the back of her throat. She reached down at her hip and pulled out her dagger, bringing it to the man's bulging Adam's apple. He began to scream, but it was muffled by the blood pooling into his lungs as she slit his throat. Blood soaked her hands and her forearms, and all she wanted to do was scream. She stayed silent, though, as she dropped his lifeless and bleeding body and went on to find the next one until she found Lexa. She didn't want to kill Lexa, but she wanted to give her something.

She spotted three men walking towards the entrance of the Mountain, one that the Sky People weren't trying to breach. She knew that she could take on all three, but they had guns. She pulled the same bloody dagger she had just used to kill the other man, and threw it after aiming at the back of the blonde's neck. It plunged deep and he screamed, dropping to his knees and reaching behind his head to pull the weapon out, but his life was drained from his weak body before he hit the ground. The other two began to panic, turning around and trying to see their attacker in the dark. She had the advantage of dark clothing, and the moonlight was shining on them.

She came out from the darkness, her Morningstar in her hands as she ran full speed at them. The both brought their guns up clumsily, nervously, and began to fire shots. Athena used the trees to her advantage, darting in and out from them so that her chances of being shot were slim; they were more likely to hit the trees as they were non-moving targets, and they were scared. She swung her Morningstar heavily over her head, her shoulders crying out in pain, and brought it down; the spiked ball hit the hands of the one man, his gun falling from his grip and a cry bursting from his lips. Athena spun, the weapon still lodged in his forearms, and brought her second dagger into the side of his neck, killing him quickly.

She pulled all her weapons from his corpse and faced the last one; he was gone. Though she would have taken this as surrender, she knew that with guns things were different. He knew it was safest to get away from her, to hide from her devious stare, to get away from her deadly weapons. But hidden in the shadows he could see her, and he could shoot her. She knew her battle was not close to over yet, and she hadn't even spotted Lexa yet.

A crunch of a leaf here, and raspy breath there. Athena shut her eyes and tuned in to the sounds that surrounded her; she couldn't keep her vision blocked for long, not when her opponent could probably see her, but it allowed her to tune into her other senses. Particularly her hearing, she listened to the movements around her, and realized that there were more people coming. Perhaps he had called for help, and others were coming to take her down. Or perhaps it was Lexa returning from making a deal that would be remembered as an alliance breaker for the rest of time.

She saw him then; a faded brown hair colour seemed to glow in the moonlight, and she knew that she had him right where she wanted him. His back was to her, and she began to stalk him like a cat would its prey. She held her Morningstar in her hand, the tight grip making her knuckles go white. Creeping closer, being careful not to make any noise when she put her heavy foot down. He looked frantic; he was young, but not younger than Athena herself. She cried out as she got close enough, startling him as he turned to look at the whites of Athena's eyes before she brought the Morningstar down against his sternum. He fell to the ground in agony, blood bursting from his wounds as she pulled the heavy weapon from his body. His hands scrambled to his chest, as if he could plug the holes leaking his life. She grabbed her spear and brought it down through his chest, ending his agony, but the cold look in her eyes caused him to die in sheer terror.

She let out a sigh that more resembled a growl, and pulled her spear from his chest. Leaving it dripping with blood, she leaned on it for support for just a moment. The deal had been done, the Grounders were free, the army was going to leave and Clarke and Bellamy would be the only ones left. Even though she had taken out four of Mount Weather's fighters, it would mean nothing unless they got the Sky People out of the awful place. She almost felt defeated, unsure of how to change anything now. Straightening up, she decided it would be best to go to Clarke, to support her, to get Bellamy out of there in one piece.

But before she could even turn around, she heard the echoing sound of gunfire. It took a moment before she realized what had happened. It wasn't until she had hit the ground after falling in what seemed like slow motion and the air smelled of gun powder that she realized she had been shot. The pain was nonexistent at the time, only a cold sensation exploding through her lower back, around her kidney. Her face hit the dirt that was stained with blood, and she felt the whole world pulsing at the same rate as her heart.

*Patiently waiting for people to yell-comment at me*.