Chapter 44

“I thought I was going to lose you.” Bellamy said as he released Athena.

“As did I.” She changed topics quickly, though perhaps moved on to one that was too fresh. “Why did Finn run?”

“He tricked us.” Bellamy said, his eyes lowering, then glancing over towards Raven, who was simply a crumpled human behind, her slouched but shaking body looking pathetic. “He wanted to turn himself in, but he knew Clarke and Raven would never let him just leave, so he pretended to leave, to make a run for it. He knew the army would follow, and then he turned himself in while the others weren’t looking.”

“And you,” Athena began, “You were a part of this plan? To send him off?”

Bellamy licked his lips, his eyes darting slightly. “I thought I was going to lose you whether or not Finn was given over to them. I thought it was better to save more lives. I wasn’t thinking straight…”

“I’m not upset.” Athena said, and it was true. “You did what you thought was best, and sometimes that means sacrificing one for the safety of the many. Though, Lexa would have slaughtered all of you had you not turned in Finn.”

“It was a gamble.”

“Well stop betting on my life.” Athena raised her eyebrow playfully, a gentle smirk on her lips for a count of two seconds before she returned back to the stone cold look she always had. The look that would curdle blood if she had the power to do so. The look that had been defined and created by the mountain itself.

They walked towards the Ark, a few people glancing at Athena again, though this time people were either looking at her with respect for taking the blow that she did, and others were even more disgusted by her after watching Finn die by the hands of just another youth. What a bittersweet world it was; three types of people, all human, and yet all so different on their morals. Athena didn’t think her people were the most moral, the most level headed, but they had reasons behind everything that they did. The difficulty with peace and alliances is that there was very little trust.

“Now that there is a truce, can I show you some of our technology? It might really help you.” Bellamy suggested.

“How could it help me when the only technology I will ever encounter is right here in this… this Ark?” She retorted; her skills would not lay in technology.

“That’s where you’re wrong.” Bellamy grinned; it was clear that he was happy to teach her something again. He had helped her learn the language and could now help with his culture. He had obviously raised his sister and taught her a lot of things, and that had been taken from him. Now it was back, his opportunity to show her what she could learn. “The Mountain Men use the same type of technology as us.”

“So?”

“I’m thinking I get in.” Bellamy said, “I haven’t brought it up with anyone else yet, since the truce was up in the air, but not confirmed. I can’t bring it up with Clarke, not yet… So I thought you might be able to help me.”

“You would willingly go into Mount Weather?” Athena was shocked.

“They cause the acid fog, they can kill us if we get too close without more than a push of a button. We have to stop that before we can proceed. The truce can be sorted out with Clarke and Kane and Lexa and whoever else, but my place is there, sorting out the problems from the inside. I can go undercover with the help of you and Lincoln, when he is recovered.”

“That’s suicide.” Athena shook her head as if to shake out the fear trickling into her being.

“If we can contact our friends inside, Clarke said that they were treated as guests, not prisoners, then we can sort out a plan to get in, to wreak havoc from the inside without any of them knowing. They will be so focused on the army outside their doors, they won’t know to look inside.”

Athena couldn’t deny that it was a good idea, but if one single thing went wrong then they would be found out and shot. There was a lot at stake, and the risk was astronomical. However, it was brilliant, it was truly a smart plan, and Athena knew the risks were worth it. She looked up at Bellamy, realizing that he had taken control of a situation when everyone else was still focused on Finn. She was proud of him. Pressing her hand to his cheek she nodded, “Teach me.”

Bellamy grinned and slipped his hand into Athena’s. She looked down at the odd and unusual gesture, then glanced up at him. “What are you doing?”

Bellamy looked at their hands. “Holding your hand…”

“Why?” She asked.

Bellamy frowned, he couldn’t come up with an answer. “It’s… Something we do on the Ark.”

“Oh.” Athena still didn’t grasp it, but she allowed his hand to hold onto hers as he continued to guide her down the narrow and winding pathways of the fallen Ark. There were many rooms, but a lot of them could not be accessed because when the Ark crashed down on Earth it didn’t land well. Many of the upper levels would never be reached, at least not without gear to climb up the hallways that were slanted the wrong way.

They slid though one of the doors and a blonde fellow stood. He glanced up at Bellamy, then looked at Athena. “So, this is our Grounder?”

“Don’t call her that, Wick.” Bellamy cautioned.

Athena rolled her eyes, “I’m not yours, I belong to no one.”

 “Right, sorry.” Wick replied casually, then glanced back at Bellamy. “What can I do for you?

“Update me on what we’ve found on Mount Weather.”

Wick nodded; him and Raven had been trying to listen in on their radio waves, but found that they were blocking the Ark’s own radio waves, preventing them from finding one another as well as contacting those within the mountain. They were smart, and they were obviously overlooking the truce and the alliance that had just occurred; to be prepared, they would have to be watching, studying the tactics of the new people. They knew how Grounders fought, but they didn’t quite know how the Arkers fought; it was going to be the battle of the century, when it truly came down to it. 

So when I got home yesterday I literally got in my car and drove to work, and when I got off work I drove to my mums for family dinner, and when I got home I crashed so hard because I had previously been up until 3 AM playing drinking Jenga. So not only was I overtired, I was also slightly hungover. Anyways, if I have the time today I will write as much as possible, and if I can I will post another, but I work two jobs tonight so it is unlikely.