Chapter 55

Time was ticking, and it was getting dark out. Athena had yet to hear from Bellamy, and the worry inside of her was growing steadily. On the surface she looked stone steady, as she always did, and no one cast her a second glance when she walked by. All the treason she had committed had been long forgotten by most; they had been able to see the reasons behind her decisions, and it had turned out for the better now that she had helped. If they could get their friends and family out of that mountain, everything that had happened in the past would be let go.

A crackle came from the black radio on her belt, and Athena was startled at first. His voice came through, scratchy, but there. "You made it back safe?"

She pulled the device from her hip and tried to remember how to reply. Was it this button? Or that one? She studied it as it crackled at her for a moment, and then ceased.

"It's this one." Clarke said, appearing out of nowhere. She grabbed the radio from her hands and pressed the top left button and handed it back to Athena, "Press and hold to reply."

Athena nodded a gentle thank you, and then realized that Clarke was not going to leave her until she knew that Bellamy was safe as well. They had been through thick and thin together, and they had a great amount of respect for one another. As leaders, they were both strong, as youths, they had their lives ripped from them before they were even born. Their first experience on the planet they should have been born on was survival, death, chaos, amongst other traumatic experiences.

"I'm fine. You're still undiscovered?" She asked, then released the button.

Static.

"Yes." Bellamy said, this time his voice softer. "I have to go."

Static.

Clarke put her hand on Athena's shoulder, but the warrior shrugged it off. Regardless of if she was worrying about Bellamy, she was not going to let people console her about it. If she needed therapy, she would find it in battle, not in gentle, fake words from people she hardly knew. She looked at the blonde and pursed her lips together slightly. "Rest, eat, do what you need to prepare."

"I've been prepared for too long now." She glanced up at the mountain. "Ever since I was in there, I knew there was something wrong with the place."

"Everything is what it seems; I just depends on who is willing to open their eyes to it." She mustered up the encouraging words. "You are a smart girl, Clarke, your clear sight will help you win wars, but don't get too confident. They've been here for a lot longer than your people."

"We have you." She said, referring to all the Grounders that were backing her decision to bust into Mount Weather with minimal casualties.

"Numbers don't win wars; you of all people should know that."

"You're right." Clarke said, her words confident. "I've learned a lot since I've been here."

"When this is over, I could train you." Athena suggested, assuming Clarke would turn down the offer. "Your guns won't keep you alive forever."

"I'll consider it, thank you."

Without another word, Athena ducked out of the conversation. All the talk about the war made her more anxious to get into battle. She was itching for a good kill, and now that she had all her weaponry back, she felt as though she was back in her league. When she had to wage war against the Hundred, which felt like centuries ago now, she saw something wrong with it when she got to see who they were. She had seen what Mount Weather was capable of, and she had no troubles killing every last one. Man, woman and child. Any one of them could survive the war, and start their twisted reign all over again. Clarke wanted minimal casualties, but Athena wanted them wiped out, extinct for good.

As Athena made her way to Raven's tent, she spotted Wick at the entrance, soaking up the sun. She glanced at him and raised an eyebrow, "Raven?"

"In there." Wick nodded, "She's talking to Bellamy now, looks like we have our in."

Athena knew he could do it; he had wits and survival skills beyond his years. She entered the area and heard Bellamy's voice over the radio. Wick followed Athena in and plopped himself down beside Raven.

"They know I'm here." Bellamy said, his voice scattered, sounding slightly frantic. "I have to do this quick."

Athena sat back, anxiously listening as Raven, Wick and Bellamy began discussing the best way to shut down the fog. If not forever, at least for a few hours. That would give them enough time to close the distance between their camp and Mount Weather's entrance, enough time to bring them down to their knees and force them to give up their prisoners. Without their blood source and marrow, they would surely die off quickly. But they would fight for what they thought was theirs; the ability to walk on Earth without their flesh burning and peeling off of them within minutes. Athena remembered watching the fear and terror in Dr. Tsing's eyes, and it made her smile. A similar smirk to Aslan's devious one, but Athena's harboured much more pent up anger.

"It's off." Bellamy said enthusiastically.

"Good job, Bellamy." Athena said over the radio, "Now get the hell out of there."

"I will." He said, then added as Athena began to stand, "Athena, I-"

Static.

"What was that?" Athena asked.

"Probably just lost connection, it has been fuzzy all day." Raven admitted, "The fog is off, go tell Lexa and Clarke. The war begins."

Athena was riled up with excitement. Her Morningstar felt light on her back, and she couldn't wait to use it. She walked through the camp and found Lexa. The commander was speaking with Indra, one of her most loyal in command. Athena was not seen as loyal to them, but she liked to believe that she was loyal to herself. Though she disliked admitting a lot of things, and tended to repress her feelings, she knew what was right for her more often than not.

"The fog is off, Bellamy succeeded." Athena spoke when Indra and Lexa spotted her, and ceased their conversation.

Lexa's lips pulled up into a wicked smile. "Announce it."

"Me?"

"Yes."

Athena didn't like the spotlight, but war was her best ally, and she was given the command to rally the army. She stood at the front of the thousands and thousands of men and women, ready to give their lives for their freedom, and take the lives of those who wanted to take their freedom. She cleared her throat, and out came her best booming voice. With a bowl of her blue paint in her hand, she dipped her fingers in.

"Wood Clans, Ice Clans, Boat People, Sky People. We have been on the short leash of Mount Weather for too long! Too many lives have been lost to their twisted ways. No more will they turn our people into flesh-eating creatures, no more will they take our blood for their weak bodies! They are weak! They hide behind their walls, cowering at the army that is coming down upon them! Today is the day where we strike fear into their hearts, and then rip them out." Athena yelled, every part of her tingling with excitement. "Today, we take back what is ours!"

The war cry that followed would rumble the core of the Earth.

Ahhh, finally a day where I don't start work at nine! I'm hoping to get a bit more writing done before I go to work so that I don't have so much to do tomorrow. Tomorrow there will be a post in the afternoon most likely, and I'm hoping to finish the story on Sunday, and I'll continue to post daily until it is complete. There will be 60 chapters, plus an epilogue. Again, thank you to everyone who has commented and voted, messaged, and what have you. It really means a lot to me, and I loved writing this story for you guys!