Chapter 20

Voices began to stir, people looked alarmed and began to raise their weapons. Very few of the people grabbing guns, more of them backing off. So they were still recovering from the sickness, Athena concluded. She looked around for Bellamy, but she did not see him anywhere. A panic swept over her; without Bellamy, she would surely be ripped limb from limb by the other Sky People. As a few of them came closer, guns raised at her head, she forced herself to remain calm, keep her head up.

                “Just shoot her!” Someone shouted, cowering behind the small lune of people with guns.

                “What the hell is going on?!” Octavia’s voice rung over the others; a few people lowered their guns, others held steady.

                “Grounder!” A girl with reddish hair shouted, glancing over her shoulder at Octavia who was rushing out of the drop ship to see what was going on.

                “Harper, stand down!” Octavia placed her hand on top of the black gun, then looked at the others. “All of you.”

                “But she-“

                “She is not the enemy.” Octavia walked in front of the line of guns, reaching Athena. “Are you?”

                Athena shook her head, “No. Not anymore.”

                “What are you doing here, Athena?”

                “You know her?” Harper asked.

                “Yes, she helped free Lincoln.”

                “I remember her…” Someone came out from the tents, “She was at the bridge, with Anya.”

                Octavia looked at the boy, “Jasper, stop.”

                “No, Octavia, I know you trust the Grounders, but I don’t!” He shouted, causing even more people to come out of their tents. “She was there, she is tricking you, making you trust her. She’ll kill who is left of us!”

                Athena snapped, “I was on that bridge. Both times. This hideous scar on my face is proof of my allegiance with my people, but I tried to stop it. Two of my best men are scattered into pieces because of you; I never wanted that. There will never be union between our people, but we are not all savages.”

                “Both of you, stop. Athena is not here to hurt anyone.” Octavia vouched for her. “Everyone go back to doing what you were doing before, I’ve got this.”

                Some people backed off, others lowered their guns but not their glares. Octavia grabbed Athena’s arm and guided her to the fires. Those sitting by the fire got up, muttering harsh words in her direction. However, her thick skin allowed none of it in; she had been called worse by people who meant more to her than these children. When it was just Octavia and Athena, she felt as though a weight had been lifted off of her.

                “Bellamy?” Athena asked, “Is he alive?”

                “Yes.” Octavia nodded, “He got sick, but he is recovering well.”

                “Good.” Athena said, though she didn’t ask to see him yet. She had a feeling Octavia was going to be more patient than Bellamy. She looked at the brunette and studied her; there was so much potential in this young woman, and Athena saw a bit of herself in her. “The bomb slowed Anya down, but it pissed her off. She has taken Clarke, and the boy, Finn.”

                Octavia nodded, “I had a feeling something had happened to them. They went out hunting hours ago. They have Monty?”

                “Monty?” Athena shook her head, “Not that I know of.”

                “I hope he is alright.”

                Athena cold have said something about he probably was, but she knew that was a lie. She wasn’t in on all of Anya’s plans, otherwise she would have been told about the sickness, and about Clarke and Finn being taken. Looking down at her hands, she turned them over; bruises and cuts covered a vast majority of her body. She had no words of comfort for Octavia, even though she had come here to hear words of encouragement.

                “Anya will not stop.” Athena repeated.

                “I know.” Octavia nodded. “Why have you come here?”

                Athena looked down again, “I… I do not belong here. But I also do not belong back there.”

                “Where do you belong?”

                Athena met Octavia’s eyes. “Far away from here, though, I do not know I would belong there either. Not anymore.”

                “Lincoln wants me to leave.”

                “You should.” Athena had thought about leaving, or telling Bellamy to leave, but it seemed too cowardice.

                “Maybe once everyone is accounted for. We can’t leave with people missing.” Octavia sighed, “Is there a chance you can free them?”

                Athena shook her head; she wasn’t even sure if she could go back there. She would be labelled a traitor like Lincoln, and for now, she knew that she could not face Aslan. The way things had been left, it needed time to cool down. She felt eyes boring into her, and a faint smile crossed her lips. She moved her pink tongue over her lips, dampening them, and turned her head to look at Bellamy, whose face was illuminated by the fire beside them. She nodded at him, but there was something dark in his eyes.

                “Come.” Athena nodded him over.

                Bellamy looked rigid, but he came over anyways, sitting across from Athena. “Where are Clarke and Finn?”

                “Anya has them.” Athena explained everything to Bellamy.

                A silence fell between them, though there was a constant vibrational murmur throughout the entirety of the camp. Athena’s presence had disturbed them, but it did not distract her. She waited for a response from Bellamy, though she was unsure how he felt about the situation. She did not look longingly at him, she did not hint that she cared for him at all. Feelings had gotten her where she was, homeless, tribe-less. She wouldn’t let them drag her any further down.

                “You can stay here.” Bellamy said, “I want all the information you can give us to stop your army. You will have no weapons, and you will be under watch at all times.”

                “I can’t do that.” Athena rose, “I can’t give you information that will kill my… my people. But I can help you stay alive to see another day.”

                “Bell, that has to be enough.” Octavia said.

                He looked at his sister, and then back at Athena. “It is for now. You.” He pointed towards Athena, “You come with me.”

20 Chapters in and I can't see myself ending this soon! Things are only just beginning! A few more chapters, maybe five to ten and season one will be finished. From there, I am going to have to start rewatching some of season 2, which may be difficult because of internet limits. But I aill do my best!