Chapter 29

Two men with guns raced towards her and put something cold and heavy over her wrists; handcuffs. She grimaced as she was brought to her feet forcefully. Her eyes darted towards Bellamy, why wasn’t he saying anything? The one who killed Kane was saying how they were safe now, but Athena had a bad feeling that didn’t extend to her. She was different than them, she looked like the enemy, and they would never believe if she said otherwise.

                “Wait.” Bellamy noticed Athena. “Wait, Kane, what the hell are you doing?!”

                He darted between the others as quickly as he could, heading towards Athena. She kept her expression cold and hard, she would give these people nothing. She would not beg them to free her, giver some sob story about how she had helped these kids whom they sent down to die survive a massacre. No, she would let the others speak for her, as it was a stronger force coming from the people they knew.

                One guard kept hold of her, while the other walked up to stop Bellamy. He put his hands out and shoved him in the chest as he came, preventing him come coming any closer. Athena looked up at him and shook her head slightly; aggressively approaching this was not smart. Though it was in her nature to be aggressive, she knew when it was not an appropriate response.

                “You have to let her go!” Bellamy shouted, his anger obvious.

                Monroe stepped up, and people began to file in through the forest. There were so many people, so many Sky People to be exact, and Athena knew that this was her jury. The red head spoke softly, “Why are you arresting her?”

                Kane looked at her as if she were so far below him, and Athena wondered for a moment if he was even going to speak. “She is one of them, we will hold her for questioning. You told us all about these Grounders, and how horrible they were.”

                “Not all of them.” Bellamy joined in the debate. “She is one of the only reasons we’re alive.”

                Athena scoffed; it was a praise that was far from true. Every single thing she had told them hadn’t exactly worked out. Some of the tactics had helped, her taking on her own people single handed helped, but she had told them to leave, and because of that someone had died, and so many more people died because they were not prepared to fight a war. Their idea to use the drop ship as a weapon did not come from her, but Athena didn’t deny the praise; if it freed her hands she would be appreciative of a little white lie.

                “And I am supposed to take the word of some criminal?” Kane asked Bellamy.

                “I was pardoned, by the chancellor himself.” Bellamy growled, though Athena had no idea what they were talking about. She knew that all the kids sent down had been criminals, but she didn’t know what they had done. Not even what Bellamy had done.

                “And I will uphold that pardon, but you’re walking on thin ice, Mr. Blake.” He shifted the gun in his hand. “She will not be treated poorly, but she will be detained until we can trust her.”