Chapter 6

“Athena!” Octavia croaked, “He’s alive.”

                “Liar.” Athena whispered into her ear, a carnal growl.

                “No, please!” Octavia reached her hands up to Athena’s arm and tried to pull the dagger away from her neck, but Athena was larger and stronger than Octavia.

                “A-Athena… Stop.” Lincoln’s shaky voice startled Athena, but she dropped Octavia in a second, rushing to aid Lincoln.

                “What have they done to you?” Athena asked, her native tongue feeling familiar on her lips.

                “Do not hurt her.” He muttered, trying to keep his head up to look Athena in the eyes. She hardly recognized him anymore, though it had been a few years since she had last seen him.

                “I’m trying to get him out of here.” Octavia said, reached up to Lincoln’s bound hand, trying to untie the knot.

                Athena walked up to her briskly, dagger in hand; at first, Octavia’s eyes widened in shock, but she relaxed when she watched Athena cut the ropes binding Lincoln. When he was freed, Octavia helped him put on the clothes that she found for him. Athena stood above the hatch to make sure no one else was coming up. They could try, but she had the higher ground and thus had the upper hand. No one seemed to know that they were there, but Athena was still feeling quite unsettled.

                When Lincoln was dressed, he leaned against Octavia, looking between Athena and Octavia; two completely different people from completely different worlds, and yet they were both on the same side. It made him realize something; though some of his own people were savage, and some of the Sky People had a tough streak, they could join together and unite, or simply ignore one another. It was a long shot, but he was determined to talk to Athena about it; if she was even there it meant that the commander saw the Sky People as a huge threat.

                “Come on.” Athena hissed in her native tongue; she did not want to be around long enough for the kids to realize who she was.

                “Okay, let’s go.” Octavia said, walking Lincoln over to Athena and the hatch.

                She began to climb down the hatch, Lincoln spoke. “What’d you do?”

                Athena grimaced as she didn’t understand what Lincoln was saying to her.

                Octavia said something.

                Lincoln explained, “Jobi nuts.”

                Athena remembered; they were a nut that when bad, they would cause severe, but short term hallucinations. She wondered where they got enough to get the whole camp stoned, but didn’t have time to figure out the numbers. What mattered was that she was getting Lincoln out, and she was going to bring him to Lexa. From there, they could plan the war that they would bring down on them. Athena was thinking about how they would get to them, bring down their walls, catch them unaware, when she realized that Octavia and Lincoln were kissing.

                She gaped at them for a minute, and then climbed down the hatch; if Lincoln wanted to suffer Stockholm syndrome then so be it. Athena wasn’t going to sit around and be a part of it. She dropped down the last few rungs of the ladder and thumped hard on the metal ground; she forgot how loud metal could be compared to the Earth. Mentally swearing at herself, she waited, then peered out through the tarp. There were people coming down from their highs; it was going to be harder to get out now.

                Lincoln wasn’t far behind her, but she didn’t want to talk to him anymore. Though they left the metal dome together, the minute Athena was out, she dashed around to the back of the wall where her clothes were. Grumbling under her breath, she tore off the shirt she was wearing, then bent down to grab her clothes. They had some dirt on them, and she shook them out before covering herself again. A hand on her shoulder caused her to turn at whiplash speed, her dagger out.

                It was only Lincoln.

                “Athena, why are you here?” He asked.

                “To free you.” She snarled, “It seems you do not wish to be freed.”

                “These people do not mean us harm.”

                Athena hissed, “One almost killed me.” It was a bit of a lie, Bellamy didn’t look as though he had it in him to kill her, but she wanted to get the point across to a love-blind Lincoln.

                “And I almost killed one of them.”

                “Too bad you couldn’t finish the job.” She snapped, “I didn’t know you were so soft, Lincoln.”

                “They are children, they do not need a war upon them.”

                “Last I heard, children do not torture.” She growled.

                A darkness shrouded them, the sky was dull and the moon was hidden behind a large cloud; not a rain cloud, but it was thick enough to cover the only light. Athena’s glare darkened along with the weather, as if she were controlled by it. Her task would change now that Lincoln would not stand beside her to discuss the intruders as they were; savages. War was already brewing on either side, and there was the risk of the Mountain Men; Athena wanted to be back upon her snowy mountain before then. Though she was a warrior, she had her fears that she kept underneath, so deep she hardly knew of their existence.

                “Tell me, Athena; how many children die up there in your training?”

                Athena stopped; her frame was still in a defensive mode. Lincoln wasn’t usually so cold, but he was defending himself and the Sky People as well. Teeth gritted, she breathed in, making a whistling sound. It sounded far less menacing that it was, but she knew that she could not attack Lincoln. They were, after all, supposedly on the same side but with different views on the other side. She shook her head, turning on her heel and storming away; he had hit a soft spot of hers. She had killed many in training, but if they couldn’t handle her going easy, they couldn’t handle others fighting to the death. Survival of the fittest.

                In her rage, she was without doubt a hot head, she headed off obliviously into the wilderness without any thought or worry about what or who was around her. The darkness of the night sky shielded her, but shielded others. Her of all people should have known that, using the flurries upon the mountain as her main cover, but always being aware. Her distaste with Lincoln’s foolishness got her head in a flurry, and she didn’t hear the footsteps around her, nor the heavy breathing. She didn’t see glimmering eyes in the bushes, and she didn’t smell the faint must of human sweat.

Please comment with your thoughts! Bellamy will be in soon again, don't worry. Again, this story is going to be a bit more realistic and I will not have Bellamy and Athena dripping with love right now (or ever, ew).