Chapter 30

“You idiot.” Athena shook her head as she walked alongside Bellamy. She was harbouring a distaste in the back of her heart for everyone that surrounded her now. Even Bellamy.

                “For attacking the kid that tried to hang me?” He growled.

                “These people are never going to listen to you know. We’re as good as dead.” Athena snapped back. They were heading back towards the camp where the rest of the Sky People were now living.

                “He shot Raven!” He grimaced, “She might die tonight. He deserves to be executed.”

                “I agree with you, but you were being rash.” She told him. “Now he’s free and you are a prisoner, again, I’m guessing.”

                “I was not a prisoner on the Ark in any way than the Ark itself being a prison.” He replied.

                “How were you sent down?” She asked, curious. There was very little she knew about Bellamy.

                “I shot the chancellor. Octavia was going to be sent down, and I wasn’t going to let her be there alone.”

                “Aren’t you the altruist.”

                He half managed a laugh. “Now she’s gone.”

                “Where?”

                “Lincoln took her to his village.”

                Athena nodded, stepping over a log that was in the path. She wondered how far they were going, how far the camp was from the drop ship. They were carrying Raven on the stretcher Athena had helped make when the plan had been for them to leave, to go east. She was still alive, after all this time, and Athena knew that she was a fighter. A lot of people would have given up by now, but she was holding on. Finn was by her side, clutching her hand tightly, though she was not gripping back.

                “Will they torture me?” Athena asked; she knew that if the clans had been separated into their original fractions and she was captured and held for information, they would go to torture straight away. The Sky People were different enough, she could see that clearly. They had different weaponry, medicine and medical tactics, different war plans and especially different ideas about what Earth was. Sometimes though, when brought down to a low point, anyone could torture, maim and kill those who seemed like enemies.

                “No.” Bellamy shook his head, as if surprised she would say something like that. “I won’t let that happen.”

                “So it is in their nature?”

                “It was in mine once.” He said, lowering his gaze.

                “Lincoln.” Athena whispered. “Well…”