Chapter 10

It was morning when Athena spotted Aslan; his dark hair blended with the tree trunks all around him. Though he was part of the Ice Clan, he looked as though he belonged to the Wood Clan when he was here. She studied him from afar, taking him in. He had a large build, strong and muscular. Even the way he stood made people around him see his strength and his confidence; he was not a stupid man, and while he usually kept to himself, he was observational. His size made people think he was nothing but a brute, but he was in fact leader material.

                “Aslan.” Athena said as she neared him.

                He turned casually, unthreatened by the sound of her voice. “It’s been two days.”

                “Lincoln is free.” She said, having to remind herself to speak her native tongue, not English. Aslan himself knew just as little as she and would be suspicious if she suddenly was learning a new tongue. Though she wanted to create a peace between their people, Athena felt guilty about what had happened in the cave with Bellamy, although nothing had truly happened. She repressed these feelings and looked up at Aslan; he was so much taller than her. “I must speak with Lexa.”

                “She is gone.”

                “Where?” Athena asked, her tone sharper than she had intended. However, it was important that she spoke to the commander.

                “Rallying the clans.” He stated. “Anya is in command, and expects our report.”

                Athena tightened her lips, but began her swift stride through the forests to where Anya’s camp was, awaiting word from Athena. Anya was harder to negotiate with than Lexa. She, like Athena herself, was hard headed and a tough egg to crack. She probably had her head set on war with these people, and to Anya, Athena was an outsider. She might as well be one of the Sky People to Anya, and she was not going to be impressed that Athena, a known warrior, was advising against war.

                It was going to defy the norms.

                It was going to defy nature.

                It took them the bulk of the days on foot to reach Anya’s camp, though almost five days had passed since she arrived; the camp was not large, but to Athena, it seemed immense. The Ice Clans were smaller, as many died off in earlier years of life. The elderly often moved south to the Wood Clans to live out their lives, though ‘elderly’ here was about sixty years. Most did not live beyond their thirties, though since Lexa brought the clans together, the only threats had been the Reapers and the Mountain Men. Now there was another potential threat, but Athena wanted to wait it out, and see if these children were going to be what Anya thought they were.

                With a solid argument, Athena breathed in through her nose, and out through her mouth. She was larger and stronger than Anya, but not as blood thirsty or cunning. With similar rankings, they were basically head to head, but Anya had been given command of this war party, meaning she was currently sitting above Athena. Athena wouldn’t have much to go on in terms of equal power, so she had to bring home her argument.

                When she had arrived at the camp, she changed clothes, rinsed her blood and dirt stained flesh, got the sticks and blood out of her hair, and was given a small tent for her and Aslan. Her mate watched as she sat upon a chair and wrung the water out of her hair; she had a few dreadlocks here and there developing, and when she tried to comb them out with her fingers it only caused her pain. She looked at herself in a rusted and worn mirror and saw a young woman staring at her without her war paint. Her shoulders were dropped, and she looked her age for the first time.