Chapter 38

The guards allowed them in hesitantly, both of them having been former criminals. Athena knew that when the time came, if Lexa asked for her, they would be happy to hand her over. Walking through the camp confidently, Athena and Bellamy searched for familiar faces. Bellamy darted past Athena before she even saw Octavia coming down the hill, their arms outstretched as the collided into a hug. While it was a joyous moment, Athena was more concerned about why she was back here and not with Lincoln.

                Clarke emerged from the Ark, her expression tight, but it loosened when she saw Octavia and Bellamy together. Her eyes moved towards Athena, however, and she quickly picked up her stride to meet with her. Athena looked down upon the young woman; he was a leader in the making, even if her people didn’t see it. She, with the help of Bellamy, had kept so many people alive and safe, for longer than any of the adults here could have. They shot first, then thought. Something Athena was trying to stop doing.

                “I am meeting with your commander.” Clarke said to Athena over the chatter of Bellamy and Octavia. It was clear Bellamy thought he would never see her again, and there was a darkness in Octavia’s eyes.

                “Is Lincoln okay?” Athena asked quickly.

                “He was turned into a Reaper, Octavia found him.” Clarke explained, “We were able to bring him back.”

                Athena was utterly stunned, but she did not show it. “That is your bargaining chip?”

                “Your commander didn’t think it was worth making a deal with us, she wanted to slaughter us all, until Nyko witnessed us bring Lincoln back. Now we have something great to offer, as well as other things.”

                “That is good. She will want something more in her advantage, and that may be just the thing.” Athena wondered what this would do for the Mountain Men; would they change their tactics? Or would it be too subtle, taking single Reapers at a time and turning them back, for them to notice?

                “You should come with me.” Clarke stated.

                “My time to meet with Lexa will come.” Athena looked at Clarke through her peripheral vision, as if she were her own second; learning the ways of war and taking to controls while Athena sat back and watched. She would have been happy to have Clarke as her second, had she ever needed a second.

                “Keep Bellamy out of trouble while I’m gone.”

                “No promises.” Athena added, and then watched as Clarke headed towards the gates where just outside was an entire army. If Lexa wanted Clarke dead, she would be dead already.

                As Athena sat down on a thick log, people turned heads to look at her over the fire. She raised a menacing eyebrow and all the people turned their heads down. Her stomach rolled and groaned, but she would not ask them for food. Instead, she warmed herself by the fire, listening to the chit chat that was going around in the camp. None of it was entirely good, everyone was worrying about the war and whether or not they should pack up and leave, or fight. Athena had a feeling this deal would work, and if they could eventually weed out the Mountain Men, the entire balance on earth was going to shift.