Chapter 58

Trailer is courtesy of Just-Aimiee

As her ears rang, Athena found her shaky breath, spitting out the dirt in her mouth. A terrifying, carnal scream emitted from her lips as she rolled onto her back. The pain shot through her at enormous levels now, as she realized what had happened. With all the strength she could muster, she managed to slow her breathing to a steady level, and concentrate on staying as still as possible. Out in the forest, away from the army, away from the Sky People, and away from anyone who would be able to help her, she knew that her chances of being found were slim to none.

Baring her teeth as she saw a form enter her vision, she wondered if this was it. The person who shot her was coming to finish the job; at least she had put up a fight. But as they neared, Athena saw that it was Lexa; her long black coat almost touching the dirt and blood, but hovering just above the filthy Earth. The commander stood above Athena, turning her head to the side as she studied the Ice Clan warrior.

"You should have stayed on your mountain." Lexa said. "This is for Anya."

Athena tried to speak, but the pain that was bursting through her only allowed her to growl lightly, her breath slower now. She glared up at Lexa, but looks couldn't kill.

"I've had a long time to think about how I wanted you to go; whether I would send you back to the mountain in exile, or letting you hang for your treason. Not everyone wanted your head on a stake, so I decided it had to be more covert. Bringing you in as my second made you trust me, let you be closer to me. I knew you wouldn't agree with my 'cowardice' and would follow. You did everything I expected, and you paid the ultimate price for it."

"As-" Athena cringed at the pain, "Aslan will kill you."

Lexa shook her head, "No one will know what I've done. By the time he finds you, you will have bled out. He will think that you were protecting me, the brave warrior that you are, and you will have died a courageous death in his eyes. I'll give you that; they will all believe you died a worthy death, but I'll know better."

"Today... is not th-the day I die." Athena growled in complete defiance and aggression. It took every bit of energy she had to speak, to defy Lexa's words.

Lexa offered an almost honest, sympathetic smile, but Athena saw pity in there. "Yes, it is."

The commander stepped over Athena's weakened a rapidly descending into emergency mode body, then began to walk down the mountain pass to tell her army to step back. If Clarke wanted her people, she would have to do it on her own. This was a lesson to everyone involved; sacrifices will always be made, backs will always be stabbed, and people will always die in war.

Lexa turned just before she was out of sight, "Oh, and Athena, you are hereby revoked from your duties as second."

Distant speaking, feet shuffling, and confusion could be heard in the air. Though Athena was lying in the dirt quite a ways away from the initial battle scene, she felt as though she knew what Clarke was going through. Betrayal was a dangerous card to play in this game of life, and Lexa had dealt it out to a handful of vengeful people. If Athena could hope for anything, it was that Clarke would return the favour both for herself, and for Athena if she didn't make it out of this.

She knew moving was a risky maneuver, but she needed to get closer to get help. All the Mount Weather fighters and gunners were back behind their walls, hoping that the Sky People would back off as well, waiting them out as they had waited so many years hiding from people like Athena. She just needed one person to see her, one person to get help. It didn't matter who it ended up being, but there were two people she wanted to see. Two people who she needed to see.

Aslan.

And Bellamy.

For all she knew Bellamy had been discovered, Bellamy was dead, Bellamy would never see her again. For all she knew Aslan had gone with Lexa, unaware of what had happened between her and Athena. But she knew Aslan wouldn't go without ensuring Athena was in the crowd; he was always looking out for her and he always would. If she could bind the wound, she could pull through. She had to. Today was not the day she died.

"Over here!" A distant voice echoed over the mountain pass. "She's got to be here."

"There." A gruff voice; Athena's hearing was tuning in and out, and it made the voices around her distorted and she was unable to pick out who they were. Regardless, she found them soothing, calming.

"Fuck, Athena!"

It was Aslan. Athena could see him coming into her vision now, and she tried to shift her position as if to prove she was not as hurt as she seemed. It was more to convince herself than Aslan, because Aslan would always see through her bluffs. He skidded through the blood and dirt and landed on his knees beside her. Propping her head up onto his muscular thigh, her wiped some of the caked on dirt from her cheek and his eyes darted all over her.

Athena had to withhold a groan as Aslan had moved her, but she managed to stifle it and the new position was far more comfortable than she had been lying in the dirt. Aslan looked up at the other person he had been with; Lucifer. So he was still loyal to Athena even after she had gone behind his back along with everyone else's. That brought her a small amount of joy into the pain riddled body she was stuck in.

"We're going to get you help." Aslan said in their native tongue, his Ice Clan accent adding a seductive purr to his voice. "Lucifer, find Abby or Clarke."

"Lexa..." Athena said weakly. "Lexa did this."

"Stop talking." Aslan warned, "You're bleeding heavily."

The big man pulled his shirt from his head, and then removed the one below that, as it was cleaner and not blood stained. Tearing a large piece from it, he gently rolled Athena onto her side despite her cries of pain through gritted teeth. His fingers invaded her bruised and bloodied bullet would and she couldn't help but scream in pain. Biting down on her tongue, she waited until he removed his finger and wrapped her scarred and battered body.

"H-how bad?"

She knew Aslan would not lie. It soothed her to know that she would get the truth, but in her fear, she had wished it was Bellamy who had found her. He would have lied, he would have tried to keep her optimistic throughout her descent into blackness.

"Your kidney is ruptured." He said, "The bullet it too deep to remove."

"Oh."

Will she survive? Will Abby or Clarke be able to save her like they saved Raven? How will I end this story? Just so you all know, I love every single one of your comments, votes, reading list adds, and messages. They really make me ecstatic that my work is worth reading. I'm hoping that when I conclude this story I can start writing something new as I edit/rewrite/revise/continue my RRH story, but it won't be a full length story like this.