Chapter 35

Finn had been so focused on seeing Clarke alive that he didn’t have a second to respond to Athena. She knocked him to the ground, her fresh clothing stained with mud and dirt in seconds, and she brought her fist down to his chin. She could hear people shouting all around her, and Finn seemed to take the blows without too much struggle. He used his hands to try to push Athena off of himself, an instinctual response when being beaten to death. She would have ended his life if she hadn’t been yanked off of him. Two strong arms tucked under her, wrapping around just below her bust, throwing her off of Finn.

                She kicked, fighting the restraint, but whoever had her was stronger than her. They put her down and she turned, ready to fight. It was Bellamy, but all Athena could see was red. “Get out of my way.”

                “Athena, slow down, think about what you are doing!” Bellamy cautioned, raising his hands up as if to surrender, but she knew that it was him preparing to catch her if she darted towards Finn.

                “Look at this!” She shouted, her accent stronger when she yelled. She had learned the language quickly, as her own was derived from English, but her accent would never leave. “Look what he has done!”

                “He wasn’t thinking straight, he thought they had our people…” Bellamy sounded unsure of what he was saying.

                Clarke looked at Athena, saddened, “He was looking for me…”

                Athena didn’t care who he was looking for, she cared about what he had done. However, she could not attack him again; he was not hers to kill. She ran through it in her head over and over again, how much she wanted to strangle him, to crush his skull, but she knew that she was no different. Because of her three hundred men and women had been burned to death. But this was a village, this was the elderly, the healers, the children. So many of them were scattered on the ground, dead and dying. She knew now that her treason would be shrouded by Finn’s; if an alliance was made between the Sky People and the Commander, they would demand his head if not her own.

                In a way, this pardoned Athena of her crimes, or at least made them look petty compared to this. She had done what she had done as an act of war, people were expected to die. She didn’t put her treason aside, she knew what she had done was vile and evil, but what Finn had done would not be taken lightly. She kept her mouth shut, however, as she knew nothing good would come from talking when she was this wound up.

                “I can’t be near him.” She hissed.

                Bellamy walked up to her, his arms still out in case she darted around him. When she remained standing and frigid as a cat near water, Bellamy lowered his arms slightly and wrapped them around her shoulders. She shrugged them off quickly, scowling at Finn.

                “We need to get back to the Ark.” Clarke said, her tone was dull, wounded.

                “Go on ahead,” Bellamy said, “I don’t think these two should be within a mile of each other.”