Chapter 41

Athena was not held prisoner at the camp; with hundreds of warriors all around her, she knew that if she tried to flee she would not make it far. She left the tent and wandered along the dark grass, a heavy weight upon her shoulders again. She waited just around Lexa’s tent waiting for Aslan, who was her escort for the evening. A vicious move by Lexa, putting Aslan in charge of keeping an eye on the woman he would die for, just to make sure she didn’t run away when the time came.

By this point, Athena had no doubt she would be killed, three hundred cuts until Lexa placed a blade in her barely beating heart, then strung up for Clarke and the rest of the Sky People to see. Though she had seen it many times, and she could speculate how terrible it was, she thought it would be a rather peaceful death. The pain she could handle, she knew that much, and it would feel nice to know that every single death had been avenged by her end. She smiled, though she didn’t truly want that to be her end. To be known as Athena the traitor, as opposed to Athena the Ice warrior.

“Well, she believes you.” Aslan’s purr warmed Athena.

Athena nodded, her arms crossed over her chest, gazing out at the hundreds of tents and torches. War and peace were always on a fine line, the tipping point startlingly easy to disrupt. In history, peace never lasted long. There was always war somewhere. It made Athena wonder about the other places in the world, if they were doing better. Perhaps it was harder in other places, as it was on the Mountain. The physical terrain was treacherous, and yet somehow the life was easier than it was down here. Emotional terrain was a dangerous game that Athena never learned the rules to, and yet was a key player.

“What are you wearing?” He asked, looking down over her body.

Athena realized that nothing had changed for Aslan, not really. Though Athena realized that she cared for someone in a way she never really cared for Aslan, though she had moved on to another in so many ways, Aslan still saw her for who she was for him. Despite his little spat, his small amount of rage, he had accepted the change that had occurred, but it didn’t change him.

“I was given new clothing when I arrived here.” She nodded towards the Ark, which was partially lit up, making the sky look weird; it almost blocked out the stars, and it was strangely unnatural and discomforting.

“They look good.” He said, “They suit you.”

“They’re too tight.” She added, a frown on her lips now.

“Our tent is there.” Aslan pointed to a tent that was two down from Lexa’s; she obviously wanted to keep Athena close.

Athena glanced at Aslan, a soft look in her eyes. “As, you know we aren’t mates anymore.”

“I know.” Aslan pushed open the flap of the tent. It was small, they would have to share a bed, but Athena would have anyways. There was something in her nature that, despite needing no know in the day, she loved the warmth of another body. Perhaps it was an Ice Clan thing, but she brought it with her when she came down to the warm woods.

Athena took off her jacket and sat down on the bedding, though she knew that she would not be able to sleep well, even with the comfort of furs. Aslan pulled his shirt off and tossed his weapons beside the bed, and then flopped down as well, kicking his boots off and sighing heavily in relief. She looked over at him, “Why didn’t you stay there?”

“The mountain?”

She nodded.

“Too cold.”

“Liar.” She knew the cold was not an issue for either of them.

“The war isn’t over yet.” Aslan placed his hands behind his head and closed his eyes, as if he were going to try and sleep while Athena bombarded him with questions. She closed her lips and leaned on her elbow, looking at Aslan and wondering so much about him. She had known his ins and outs little under a few weeks ago, and now he was a closed book. Deciding that she didn’t want to know more, she rolled onto her back and tried to fall asleep. The darkness wasn’t enough to make sleep join her, there was too much running around in her mind.

When the morning came, Athena found some of her clothing had been brought down for her from the mountain. She slid into the looser fitting closes and smiled blissfully, enjoying the cleanliness and the comfort. She didn’t put on the coat as it was too warm for it in the daylight, and she left the tent to grab a bite to eat. If she was going to die today, she was going to eat well. Lexa herself had requested her presence, probably to keep an eye on her and get some last minute information on the Sky People before she decided she had waited long enough for Finn to be handed over.

“Good morning, Athena, did you sleep well?” Lexa looked up from her seat when Athena was brought into the tent. The table was loaded with food, and Athena realized how hungry she really was. She hadn’t had a full meal since she was with Anya’s group, and even then food was being rationed for the three hundred fighters.

“No.” Athena glanced around, and noticed that her Morningstar and spear were leaned up against a shield.

Lexa noticed where Athena’s glance was, “You’ll get them back when I get Finn.”

Silence.

Athena took a seat and both her and Lexa began to eat. Athena bit into a soft pear, perfectly ripe, almost ready to go bad. The juice dripped down her chin and spilled onto her lap, but she didn’t care. Using the back of her hand, she wiped the juices away, and held her hand underneath her chin as she finished off the fruit. Apples and pears were common here, but other fruits were history. The closest thing to fruit Athena got on the mountain was berries in the warmer months, and she had to go halfway down the mountain to get it. Occasionally traders from other clans would bring up fresh fruit and vegetables in trade for the rare marrow of cougars and elk.

“Tell me about the reason you left.” Lexa raised her eyes, a crisp, red apple in her hands with a single bite in it.

Athena didn’t want to give her any information on Bellamy. “I thought the decision to slaughter the kids was wrong, so I left.”

“Athena, we both know you do not care about the lives of the weak.”

That was relatively true. “They are stronger than you thought. They’re still alive.”

“For now.”

“You think I left because of a singular person, but you are wrong.” Athena explained quickly, “I left because I see a strength in these people that we will never have, at least not until Mount Weather has been brought down, and we ally with these people.”

“Bold words for someone balancing on the edge of life and death.”

“For now.” Athena replied wryly.

Sorry I'm dragging this scene out so long, I really want people to wonder what is going to happen. Whether or not I will keep Finn alive, or if I will kill off Aslan. Will I maim my own main character? Kill her off? I want to keep you guessing. :D