Arohi - Part 9

Two months passed and I was busy with my lab and project work. I was planning on finishing all the pending projects before I leave on vacation. I completely forgot about Yudhi and the impending disaster looming in the future.

I was with Kim and Karuna, when my phone started buzzing. I checked the caller id and it was mom.

“Hi mom, I can’t wait to be home. How is everybody?” Kim started making baby noises to make fun of me.

“Arohi, how are you and Kim doing?” She always enquires about Kim and talks with her too.

I hit the speaker button.

“Kim, mom wants to say hi.”

“Auntie, I am good. When are coming over here.”

“Girls, I called to book your tickets. I was planning to book for Yudhi, so thought I can do all the tickets. Let me now your dates and time.”

“Auntie, wait a sec” and she hit the mute.

“I think we should book the tickets.” I wasn’t sure why but I could see Kim’s face glow as if she hit some platinum thought.

I started to object, but she silenced me and hit the unmute button.

“Auntie, please send us Yudhi’s details and we will book the tickets from here, as we don’t have our final dates yet.” I couldn’t believe what she was saying and tried to reason with her with my hands and eyes.

“Ok, I will send you the details. Take care, Bye.” Mom disconnected the line.

“Are you crazy Kimberly Woods? Do you have any idea what you just did? Why would we want to do anything with that moron? I thought you were going to help me, not him.” I started screaming at her.

“Shut up Arohi!!! we need to tackle this guy as soon as he lands in US and before he meets your parents. This way we can control his itinerary and take him down before he gets to your parents. He will be begging to go back, by the time he meets them.” Kim’s eyes were gleaming with wicked thoughts.

“Wow girl!!  you are a genius.” I now had the same look.

"Let the planning start"

 We spent the next whole week thinking about the plan to tackle Yudhi at Newark Airport, his port of entry into USA. Finally we decided that I would travel to Newark and then travel from Newark to San Fran with Yudhi. That journey would give me enough time to talk to Yudhi and convince him to drop the marriage plan. If he agrees to go along with our plan all will be good else I need to find something incriminating against him and then blackmail him into agreeing with our plan.

I was not sure how the blackmail plan was going to work.

“Aru, can you recognize Yudhi? Do you have any pictures?”

I told you “he is medium height, underweight, geek with thick glasses and looks like he didn’t sleep in years and most probably needs a haircut”. I saw a photo of him ten years back and I don’t think he changed much as per my mom’s description.

“Can he recognize you?”

“I don’t think so. My mom does not believe in modern internet tools, does not have access to Facebook or other sites, hence I am sure Yudhi didn’t see any of my recent pictures.”

“How come he agreed to this marriage without even looking at you or your pictures?” Kim asked

"Probably for the Green card. He needs to marry a citizen to fast track his immigration process." Karuna said.

“Why is your mom so much into this marriage? You know it is not exactly the age for arranged marriages.”  I could sense the frustration in Kim’s voice.

“Ok, this is something that stared even before I was born.”

“What??” Both of them shouted.

“Yes, when my mom was pregnant with me and she was rushed to hospital after her water broke, she ran into complications, because I was moving and was not in the right position. She got worried and started praying for me and then Yudhi’s mom called and calmed her down and joked that I was her daughter-in-law and she was sure nothing would happen to me. After that everything went pretty normal and when Yudhi’s mom called again, my mom told her to inform Yudhi, that his wife is born and doing well and he better start preparing to receive me. So though, it started as a joke, my mom believes in it seriously and used to talk about it a lot when I was young. However, once mom brought Yudhi’s picture and showed it to me and everyone in the family, everyone made fun of me. I didn’t like the picture at all and screamed at everyone and left the room crying. After that incident, I didn’t hear much about it until now.”

 I didn’t tell Kim, the number of hours I used to spend day dreaming about Yudhi, since I was five. There was something magical about it, when I was told, that I was born to be his wife. I imagined him in so many different ways, that I used to spend hours thinking about him. I was completely in love with him. Then one day, I saw his picture and couldn’t believe I was day dreaming about him, the picture was ugly and didn’t match any of my dreamy characters, so I stopped thinking about him and all the love turned into hate. Since then, my mom’s obsession with him only added to my hate towards him and made him an eternal enemy.

" I have a plan." Karuna said.

"It better be good." Kim was all ears.

"Ok, simple, you will be sitting with yudhi for six hours, so make him do something nasty and record it, so that we can use it against him."

"Why do you think he will do something like that? He is a geek."

"Ha..ha only geeks do that, that too Indian geek. All you need to do is to dress up sexy and come on to him very strongly during the flight and when he tries something funny record it and we can use it against him."

"Wow!! excellent idea, I just have the right dress in mind" Kim got excited.

**